What's new

Projector help (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you painted the wall, and got a screen...You could use the wall in conjunction with presentations. I assume those will be done lights on at least 50%. There is white chalkboard paint as well. I'm a fan of chalkboard paint since I've seen what a friend's wife does in a day care. They have a twin projector set up. One that does the entire wall during the day. And one that does 110 at night. Anyway. I assume some presentations will be slides via viewpoint. A painted wall allows the presenter to circle things(of course erase) as they go along.Then if the wall is white, get a negative gain screen(.7 or .8) to dial down the projector even more in low power mode.I'm under the assumption the room is never going to be lit lower than 20%.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would not waste money on a screen in this situation. Make sure the wall is in a nice, smooth condition, and paint it like Sam said, and I would use a light gray paint. If the room is going to be dark, I would use a white paint. I cannot recommend any projector until you determine the viewing/lights on or off situation.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim, you have to assume that during presentations the room is going to be a minimum of 40% lit...at least.

I seriously doubt any presentations aren't going to have people walking around the room. Hence the lights will be on during them. Same thing in a classroom. When showing films the lights are never turned all the way off. There is enough light for the teacher to look around the room and tell if anybody is doing anything they shouldn't be.

That is not a theater situation.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam, you are right. Steve, I would look into the Optoma EH500. For some reason, it's about $200 less than the Optoma EH501. Both are more than bright enough. The only problem is, they probably have the slow 2X color wheel speed(which could mean a lot of people will see rainbows). Projectorcentral does not list the color wheel speed for these 2 projectors, so you would need to check with Optoma.

Steve Garrett

Auditioning
Okay guys met with the electricians last night. This room will have can lighting in addition to fluorescent lighting on separate switches. The can lighting will be on dimmers so we will be able to darken room if needed. Sam is correct, we will not be using this room for home theater. The primary use will be watching television with the occasional presentation used for training. I believe going without a screen is a fantastic idea and will suit our needs perfectly. Thank you so much everyone for your responses they have helped greatly!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Then I would check into the Optoma EH500 or EH501. Make sure you verify the color wheel speed though with Optoma. And make sure the wall is in a nice smooth condition, with no obvious flaws.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Optoma doesn't publish their color wheel speeds. Why?

Cause they always use the fastest available. There is no real reason to choose a 500 over the 501. The 501 is a DC3. (read up on Dark Chip)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a review where a guy is comparing the EH501 to an Epson5020UB. That is like comparing a Toyota Camry against a F350 diesel dually.

There is no "presentation-large format" projector, of any type, that is going to have the contrast of a meant for theatre projector. Period.

RBE is a problem for maybe, maybe, 5% of the population. Everybody I know that has a large venue DLP projector says the same thing...

"You have to move your head side to side...to see the rainbow."

In other words...you have to do an unnatural act to have something to bitch about...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Optoma doesn't publish their color wheel speeds. Why? Cause they always use the fastest available. There is no real reason to choose a 500 over the 501. The 501 is a DC3. (read up on Dark Chip)
And how do you know they always use the fastest color wheel speed available? I doubt that's accurate. I would definitely verify it.A far as the DC2 vs. DC3, you said it yourself, this "is not a theater situation". Only Steve can decide if he wants to spend the extra money for the 501. I wouldn't, for that room and use.Rainbows are normally not a problem with color wheel speeds of at least 4X, BUT they are for a 2X color wheel speed. Better safe than sorry.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even over at AVS( :rolleyes:) their "reviewer" of the of the EH501(who bought it just to check to see if it could do some specific 3D) called/emailed(don't remember which) Optoma and their reply was...

"Fast enough rainbows are not a problem"...

I have found nowhere (not even Projector Central or Projector People) where Optoma mentions wheel speed on anything.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Even over at AVS( :rolleyes:) their "reviewer" of the of the EH501(who bought it just to check to see if it could do some specific 3D) called/emailed(don't remember which) Optoma and their reply was... "Fast enough rainbows are not a problem"... I have found nowhere (not even Projector Central or Projector People) where Optoma mentions wheel speed on anything.
What a wonderful reply by Optoma. It sounds like they're avoiding the question. That's like asking how may MPG a car gets, and being told "don't worry, it's gets enough". At least it's easy enough to find out the MPG of a car though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MPG on a car is like wattage on speakers...

Got a 2010 Sub Forester NA 4EAT. Says it gets 21 city 28 freeway. It routinely gets 31mppg doing it is lucky to get 24. 5MPH costs me 7mpg.

Conversely, my Miata is supposed to get 32. I haven't seen over 27 in 140,000 miles. It never got 30 even when it had 50,000 miles.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
"You have to move your head side to side...to see the rainbow."
In other words...you have to do an unnatural act to have something to bitch about...

The above is not true. Once you see it / have problems with it, it can become very annoying.

Every technology has its weaknesses and this is the main weakness of single chip dlp.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
If the content is power point etc, and not moving images, the color wheel speed will not really matter. Rainbows are normally seen when bright white is contrasted on the screen and moving (or forced, when the viewer moves their head / eyes around the screen).

Sounds like the person was speaking with a level 1 tech support person relating to the Optoma color wheel speed. I' m sure the next call the CS person received was for a toaster oven.

Manufacturers NEVER use the fastest color wheel available, they use the most cost effective color wheel available

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Practical matters...

RBE is often overblown. If it was the Achilles heel everybody wants to wish it was, DLP itself would have died by 1991.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think Steve abandoned the thread anyway, so it really doesn't matter. All I was saying is it's worth a call to Optoma's engineering dept. to find out. I tried 2 projectors with a 2X color wheel, and it was rainbow city. For my wife and one of my daughters also. It was a problem for 3 out of the 5 of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks