What's new

Projector hacking (1 Viewer)

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up an old out-of-production video projector for cheap. Trouble is, replacement bulbs go for nearly a grand! :eek:

What I'm wondering is, do any of you have any insights on the possibility of substituting a cheaper equivalent lamp when the one in it burns out? Is it just a matter of hacking a connection and making sure the power supply is compatible?

I know next to nothing about projectors, so I thought I'd ask.

Bill

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, it may be possible to find a cheaper bulb and modify the projector to accept it. However, even the cheaper bulbs can cost several hundred dollars and I'm not sure you'd want to experiment with that kind of money.

What model of projector did you get?

Check: www.topbulb.com
or: www.projectorpeople.com

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
AmPro LCD 100

I've been wondering if I could try one of those 400W halogen lamps that go for $30 or so...

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi Bill,

People have done this over at the diyaudio.com video forum. Not much info to be had on the HOW though (And plenty of crap to have to wade through).

What sort of bulb is in it now? I would think that halogen might be too hot - you don't want your LCDs melting!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
:) This thread has my interest already. I would be "almost" willing to bet that if you could find the right "$30 bulb", the projector could be modified to work with it. See if you can find out the properties of the old bulb and post back here. As far as heat, PJ bulbs give off a lot of it but how it compares to a lightbulb, I don't know. I know that this question has been brought up a couple of months or more ago.

Moving to displays

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Actually, you would probably and most likely want to build a protective case around the bulb so that if/when it explodes, it won't do any damage to the rest of your projector.

In other words, do your research before actually implementing a solution. I will be following this thread with baited breath.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I would see Halogen bulbs putting out the wrong color temperature for use with a projector not to mention running extrememely hot. The bulbs that are typically used in projectors have a copmletely different color /color temp from a standard halogen bulb hence the price difference. Dont get me wrong you could use a halogen bulb but if you ask me I'd think the picture would look like crap. Its basically think of it this way a halogen bulb will have a yellow light just like a halogen headlight in a car. A proper bulb will be a white like like the high intensity discharge headlamps you see used in BMW's, Cadillacs, Mercedes etc. Its a huge difference.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I totaly agree with Jeremy. Halogens would give you a terrible and uncorrectable yellow shift in color. For any lighting application where color is important stay completely away from the standard halogens.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks