projector for tv?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steve_-_K, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Steve_-_K

Steve_-_K Auditioning

In another thread two projectors were recommended to me to check out. The Sanyo Z1 and that panasonic 500. Both look like good options but I don't understand all I know about this stuff.
    Is it common to use a projector for normal TV veiwing? We watch TV through the week and movies/sports on weekends. Is a projector suited to that kind of veiwing? I did a search but didn't really find a clear answer.
    Thanks
    Steve K

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are a few factors here. First off, these (and otehr) projectors are more than capable of displaying anything you send them, including cable TV. If you decide to blow up the image to something like 100" then you may not like the way the low quality cable looks. An image is often only as good as the source signal (garbage in garbage out). One thing to keep foremost in your mind is that digital projectors have bulb lives that vary from 1000 hours to 5000 hours depending on the model of projector. The cost of replacing a bulb that has reached end of life can be $200-$500. If you watch movies and TV/games on a regular basis then factor in an earlier replacement for the bulb.

That said, video games can look particularly spectacular as will DVD's. Hdef will blow you away while your vcr and basic cable will look poor in comparison to these higher sources.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Front projectors are best used in rooms that are free from ambient light. Otherwise you might be better off with plasma. However, the FP will give you a large image for much less than you will spend on a decent plasma.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Steve,
    Maybe if we had more info like room size, room lighting, lighting control.
    Do you have cable and hdtv?

Another recommendation is alot of people get a pull down screen and have the screen come down in front of there tube tv so they use there tube tv for regular viewing and the FP for movies and whatever else they watch.

I moved my 36" tv upstairs for TV viewing and my basement room where the FP is I mainly watch DVD's and some sporting events and on special occasions I watch some shows on it......The only disadvantage is now my 36" TV is just hooked up to a 2 speaker system but hey that is better than nothing.....

5. Steve_-_K

Steve_-_K Auditioning

Neil, making my own screen is a definite option, I didn't realize it until I saw your reply. I have a question though. As long as I keep the ratio correct, the scree can be slightly larger or smaller as needed, is that correct? thanks

Chad, I have a pic online of our layout. If you want to check it out it's at

mywebpages.comcast.net/krumy/temporary/Gifs/option_2.gif

Steve

6. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

I have a Sony HS10 LCD ( 1366 x 768 ) 16:9 front projector. I average around 25 hours of viewing each week. We watch cable, VHS, HDTV and DVD on it. As Steve points out, the quality of the signal depends on the quality of the source sent to the projector. I can tell you that VHS, and cable are very watchable. I have a 80 x 45 ( 92 inch diagonal ) 16:9 Da-lite screen.