What's new

Projector for TV + Movie viewing (1 Viewer)

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Hey Everyone

I'm about to begin the basement reno and can't decide between a big tv or just to do it right and get a projector.

I have a fairly large basement as I live in a 1400/sq ft bungalow so right now my room is 25 x 20 that i am going to make into a TV room/kids toy room.

I can control the lights and have 9 foot ceilings if this matters. The room is rectanlge.

I was thinking instead of putting a 65" TV on the wall to do a Projector.

Couple questions.

1. Which projector + screen would you recommend

2. Worth it if we are gonna watch both TV and movies?

3. Do i need anything special aside from cable output to upconvert image quality?

Any other tips/advice you are willing to share i will gladly listen to and appreciate in advance.
Thanks everyone.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I would normally say a projector, but it depends on how you would use it. Do you plan to have a surround sound system?

1) Depends on your budget and screen size is based on how far you will sit from screen.

2) Yes, but you cannot use a projector like a TV(turning it on and off numerous times per day). That is very hard on the bulb, and will really shorten bulb life.

3) I don't know what you mean.

If you go with a projector, you will also need an A/V receiver, speakers, ceiling mount, an HD tuner of some kind for TV viewing(cable box, satellite receiver, or OTA HD tuner).

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Budget is gonna be around $3000

I have satelitte TV so I have an HD PVR.

Its not gonna be a full blown surround system but I will have speakers mounted in the ceiling

My AV receiver is Harmon Kardon.

As for how far I'm gonna be about 10-15 feet away from screen.

How bad is it then to leave it on for long(er) periods of time? Say when the kids are down there playing and wifey is hanging out watching tv/movies with them etc...?

Thanks again.

As for #3, don't ask because I clearly didn't know what i was even typing there. Makes no sense to me either reading it back. So just omit that. I already know I need a TV Box to view TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy spare bulbs.Or do a twin display.I watch my JVC around 10hrs a week. The plasma in the room sees about 4-5 hours.90% of that room is movie only. The news nor "primetime" is ever on in there. The 10% is sports(NBA finals, superbowl, world cup etc)If a projector is it(and people do it)...buy bulbs in bulk.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If not getting the idea on the bulbs...Narrow down your projector choices...then factor in the next 5 bulbs(oem only. Don't waste your time on crap).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And the BenQ7500 with a painted wall.Review here on it. I always prefer DLP. You game and DLP are fast. Although the Epson 5030 gets kudos for not being slow.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
Would be stupid or a good idea then to have a tv mounted on the wall with a powered screen i can lower when i want to watch movies/sports on the projector?

or is this to much/crazy now?

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
TrufflePig said:
Would be stupid or a good idea then to have a tv mounted on the wall with a powered screen i can lower when i want to watch movies/sports on the projector?

or is this to much/crazy now?
It's not crazy at all, BUT you won't be able to do all that with a $3,000 budget.

And by the way, using ceiling speakers is a TERRIBLE idea.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
schan1269 said:
I already said "do a twin display".$3000 is tough though. Retractable screen(good one...and not even talking material) adds cash.
Got an image of what a nice twin display looks like.

My only concern is how much room it takes up.
Jim517 said:
It's not crazy at all, BUT you won't be able to do all that with a $3,000 budget.

And by the way, using ceiling speakers is a TERRIBLE idea.
As for ceiling speakers they are going to be surround just ceiling mounted. I really should get better at clariying what I mean.

I understand $3,000 isn't going to be enough. I know I may have to do this over some time, but I want to have everything in place in case I do it.

The ceiling is going to be finished drywall so how much access needs to be above where the Projector Screen will go (motorized). And do I need a power supply right there as I can put one where the projector will go but am not sure the cord will be long enough.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for the help guys.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
schan1269 said:
Depends how trickyyou get.12v trigger for the screen?
That could work.

Here is the plan.

Behind the seating area is where the stairs are so under the stairs we are putting cabinets and a reading nook. in one of those cabinets, its going to be home to the entertainment center (reciever, dvd player, cd player, record player, power surge etc...)

I think we will eventually go with TV and then a powered screen. From everything you guys have been saying and i've been reading this is seeming more like the recommended option.

I can run cords to reach the "control center" and have them all plugged into Monster Power Center (as example).

Mind you, with the tv hanging on the wall, I will have a power source right behind the TV, but am going to run all the cable (HDMI, etc..) to the "control center"

Taking this into account what do you guys recommend? Think?

I know this is gonna blow the budget but I'm going to do the TV first and 6 months to a year do the projector.

I just don't know how much room overhead I need for the screen when it rolls up.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
schan1269 said:
Why not a ceiling recessed screen. Hidden when not in use. There are mounts to retract the projector into the ceiling also.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for that.

So if I do that and then put a TV on the wall it work perfectly.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep. How mine is done. Minus being hidden.My screen and projector, each, cost more than your budget though.Screen Research ClearPixJVC RS65

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
schan1269 said:
Yep. How mine is done. Minus being hidden.My screen and projector, each, cost more than your budget though.Screen Research ClearPixJVC RS65
Well I can see that. Thats insane.

Can you recommend some different screens and projectors that I can research and look into. I live in Canada but can always purchase in the US so location doesn't really matter.

I have two kids and only person who works in the house so can't really go that expensive like you did.

But I'm willing to invest some money to get quality and a good product.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not everybody has the ability to spend huge on this. My gf is career military. When she finally gets out(her choice when), she is a helicopter mechanic.I worked wholesale in CE for almost a decade. My RS65 was a 1400 hour demo unit at the JVC office in Chicago. I got it "cheap".My main theater, if I bought all new stuff, would be $60k. My speakers are 20 years old(and the best part).Since you are in Canada....buy used speakers. Totem, Paradigm, PSB and Energy.Elite screens and Mustang are inexpensive go-to's.I prefer DLP. Infocus, Mits and BenQ.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
And the BenQ7500 with a painted wall.Review here on it.I always prefer DLP. You game and DLP are fast. Although the Epson 5030 gets kudos for not being slow.
DLP is usually fast, unfortunately for some strange reason that one isn't and, DLP link for 3D, yuck, on the plus side you can get into their secret menu and clamp the iris down for better black levels rather than relying on the iris.

To be honest when it comes to DLP i think you get 90% of the performance of this one from cheaper projectors out there, oh not all of them for sure but some, DLP has stood still for years now while other technologies have moved forward with innovations.

TrufflePig

Grip
Real Name
Lilo
schan1269 said:
Not everybody has the ability to spend huge on this. My gf is career military. When she finally gets out(her choice when), she is a helicopter mechanic.I worked wholesale in CE for almost a decade. My RS65 was a 1400 hour demo unit at the JVC office in Chicago. I got it "cheap".My main theater, if I bought all new stuff, would be $60k. My speakers are 20 years old(and the best part).Since you are in Canada....buy used speakers. Totem, Paradigm, PSB and Energy.Elite screens and Mustang are inexpensive go-to's.I prefer DLP. Infocus, Mits and BenQ.
If I have my say, the speakers are gonna be Totem but they are super expensive around here. Haven't found any used ones anywhere.

I can get an Energy Surround in a box for "cheap cheap" through a friend who works at an electronic store. Might do the job for a family TV room like this.

Since I can probably learn a ton from you guys about the Screens what are some things I should be looking for?

Any specific models to get me started?

As for Projectors this is all new to me. I got a ton to learn about them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks