projector for my theater room

Discussion in 'Displays' started by larryHettwer, Mar 27, 2006.

1. larryHettwer

larryHettwer Auditioning

I'm putting the finishing touches on my theater room and i'm ready to purchase my projector. The problem is i have no idea what to get. I'll have 14' from the projector to the screen and the room is 16' wide. the room is dark enough to develope film in it. The only requirment i have is that the projector has componet video. Any recomendations.
    Thanks in advance
    LarryHettwer

2. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

Budget?

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Do you want a HD projector? DLP or LCD? What will you watch with it?

4. larryHettwer

larryHettwer Auditioning

My budget is around 1500.00 and the projector will be for movies no games.
    thanks

5. timNGY

timNGY Stunt Coordinator

My vote is for the Panasonic PT-AE900U. I'm biased because I own one and couldn't be happier. You should also try to go with HDMI input because it will give you the best video quality.

6. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Another biased vote for the Panasonic AE900. I was sold instantly upon a demo and even more so after reading reviews and comparisons. Now that it's in my home, it's everything I expected. A truly amazing piece of electronics. Do yourself a favor...

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Can you get a 900 for $1,500?? If so then it would be at the top of the list. Another option would be the Z4. There are also new Infocus FP's coming out. The BP76 from what I see will be the next big thing. It is DLP, VERY quiet 720p and the colors and CR has already been reviewed to be better an more true than the 900. It is more expensive but if you are in no rush it will be close to your price range soon.

8. timNGY

timNGY Stunt Coordinator

Visual Apex has the 900 for a little less than $1900 and $400 rebate for purchases up till 3/31/06. Only a few days left. I also considered the Z4, but in the end chose the 900. Can't go wrong either way.

9. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I bought my 900 (the Japanese model) for around $1650 after considering the exchange rate, so the American model should be available for around that, if not less, I would think. The only thing the Japanese model lacks in comparison to the American model is a language menu, so I can't switch the menu into English. Guess it's a good thing I can read Japanese, though I'd rather read my native language, of course.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    AE-900u hands down

11. Eric L.

Eric L. Extra

I am a newbie, but quite a few people on HTF recommended an Infocus Projector. I bought the SP5000 and it is awesome. I pulled it right out of the box and watched a movie on my off-white painted wall and the picture was amazing. My wife was actually impressed for once! (she usually hates all of my "toys")
    It is currently $999 after rebate. Have fun researching your options and let us know what you decide on.

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Another vote for the Panny AE900U

13. Josh Matthews

I can speak to lcd only. I recently purchased a Sanyo Z4 and am very happy with it. It is a bit more than the ae900, but you get a free lamp, so it balances out somewhat. If you search around here and on the other forums you'll get a better idea about the relative strenghts and weaknesses of these two lcd projectors.

14. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I took delivery on a Z3 just last week. I got it for a very nice price along with the Oppo dvd player ( under $1500 for both)