projector for gaming AND home theater - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam Bluhm, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I'm looking to get a projector for a small home theater use and also gaming. I'm working on a smaller budget so am considering the 480p projectors.

I would have a screen only in the 70" range with sources mostly from a Panny DVD player and also a PS2.

On a side note, I'm throwing my bro a bachelor party this fall. He loves LAN partys with friends and food. [​IMG] I'd like to make this party special with as many friends and computers as possible. I want to utilize the projector for use with either his machine or to project general gameplay for people to watch who are not participating (like a spectating cam).

Do you guys feel that a 854x480 res is "enough" or compatable enough for computer gaming? Another question: what does it mean when a PJ with a 480p native res says "max res: 1024x768" or something similar? Is it actually capable of displaying that or is it just capable of accepting that signal?

I was considering buying the Infocus 4805 used or the new in72. Thanks for any insight.

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

480p is enough but 720p would of course be much better. For a few hundreds more you could get the SP5000 ($875 with a 76" screen on e-bay refurbed). Mine is coming in today, replacing a 480i CRT projector which also was good enough for gaming.

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George

A projector with a native 480p resolution that says that, will accept the signal, and then scale it down to display it.

So far, my only experience with gaming on a projector has been with my old Infocus X1 and my current Infocus 4805. It was ok on the X1, but way better on the 4805. A very nice picture. But, I would prefer to have more resolution to take advantage of the Xbox 360's HD output.

DVDs also look great of course.

The IN72 sounds like it has slightly better performance than the 4805, with a much nicer and quieter design.

4. Adam Bluhm

Thanks for the quit input, guys. Appreciate it. [​IMG]

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If there is any way to stretch the budget to $1500, 720p on x360 is really worth it, making the Panny 900 a no brainer.

6. Adam Bluhm

I'd like to dive into the 900, but if I do buy one I'm going to try to keep my expense way down. I'm getting close to purchasing a rental property and will have to make improvements, etc, so I can't be too spendy. [​IMG]

Thanks for the opinion, though. [​IMG]