Projector for < $900

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jerry Parker, May 10, 2005.

1. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get a project for the living room. I cant decide on what I want though. I've been looking at some SVGA as well as some XGA ones, but I was hoping to get some input from people who have more experience.

This will probably be used for watching TV (I have HD, so something with component video would be nice) most of the time, but movies and games will be common as well. The room is about 18'x20', maybe a little more. Standard viewing distance will be 10-12'. I was hoping to have the projector on a top of a bookshelf at the back of the room (20').

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jerry, that long throw distance really limits your choices. The only decent projectors for that throw range are the Benq 6100, and the Infocus X1. I have the X1 and I love it. How big of a screen do you want?
    I don't think either will work on a shelf though, because of the image offset. And you'll need a totally dark room.

3. John S

John S Producer

Two recent threads. Two sort of opposite but the same issue.

One wants a 90" screen with only about 10' of throw.
    This one want X size screen with 20' of throw.

Interesting... I am going FP in a couple of years. These sorts of threads are really great as far as expanding my knowledge.

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I could get shot for this recomendation...but its fresh in my mind at the moment. when recently looking at FP's...i came across an Epson model...it was 1200 and included a 60" diagnal screen. It fits pretty much what you want but the throw distance. It had a pretty nice image on the 92" screen...but definatly would be better on the 60" . just food for thought for starting off.

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Why would you get shot for that???....... Epson makes very good/high quality projectors.

You need to tell us what size screen you want. If it is less than 90" than you can forget about the below 900$ thing. For a 20' throw range you will need something with a long range lens. Such as the Panny 700. It is probably the most inexpensive projector with a lens that would work in your situation......and it costs about $1900 street. Either figure out a way to move the projector closer or start saving your pennies [​IMG]. If you can get the projector to about 12-14' then the door will be open for A LOT of options. There is also nothing wrong with table mounting. I do this since it is impossible to ceiling mount and I am very happy doing it this way. It takes about 2 minutes to set up and I am off and running.

6. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd like the screen size to be quite large, actually. Probably 100 inches or so.

I found a website that sells the Infocus X1 that is refurbished for 499 dollars. However, it doesnt specify how many hours are on the bulb, and I think the warranty is only a few months.

Also my sources will be a HTPC as well as a high definition cable tv box. So I like the fact that the x1 has a farioudja (sp?) processor onboard, as the tv box does not have a native output option of 800x600.

Do you guys think the refurbished x1 would be worth the risk?

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jerry, as I said earlier, I don't think the X1 would work on a shelf because there is no lens shift. Unless you are thinking of mounting the shelf unusually high or low. I saw a refurbished X1 when using Google.com recently, and the site said it has the full 2 year warranty(I don't remember the website). I don't know if that's a misprint or not. I don't think I would buy a refurb. if it only had a 90 day warranty. But only you can make that call. Did you check the screen calculator for the X1 to see how big the image would be from 20'? I checked and the X1 would give a 121"(smallest) diagonal(16:9) from 20' back. From 19' it would be 115" diagonal. The throw is measured from screen to front of lens, by the way.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I'll echo what Jim said. You really need to read up on FP's I think. They are great machines and one that I will ALWAYS own before a "big screen" set but they do have limitations. Like I said earlier...from 20' away you can pretty much forget about a FP for under 900$. Even at 100" screen. The picture also starts to dgrade as well as it gets bigger....plus brightness and "punch" tends to diminish a lot. If you can get closer to the screen than the x1 is nice....just make sure the refurb is from a very reputable dealer.

9. MikeMon

MikeMon Stunt Coordinator

I am sort of having the same delima. I only have about 1000.00 give or take that I can spend, I want to get close to 100 inches on the wall in 16:9. I also would like to mount it about 19 feet back but since I read this thread I now know thats a bad idea. I have a riser in the back and 2 rows of seats I thought if I mounted it behind the second row it would be better since it would not be over anyones head, however I guess I cant do that. My question for you guys is this if I was to mount it about 12-15 feet back how far down from the ceiling do I need to come down? My screen is off set so it starts 1 foot below the celling due to a light and center Chanel sophit ( think of the screen as recessed in the wall 11 foot by 6 foot ). I can mount the projector anywhere but I want it out of the way.

Please provide me with any help you can offer.

Whats better between the X1 and the benQ, also what the heck is rainbow effect? And last of all which is better LCD or dlp?

Mike

10. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Mike, neither DLP or LCD is better than the other. They both have pros and cons. You really should try to see both in action, and decide which one you like better. The rainbow effect is a quick flash of red, green and blue light cause by the spinning color wheel in DLP's. Most people never see it. When you view a DLP, if you're one of the minority if affects, you'll know it. The slower the color wheel speed, the more chance it will affect you. The X1 has the slowest color wheel(2X) but it doesn't affect me. The Benq 6100 is the same color wheel speed. In my opinion, the X1 is a better projector than the Benq 6100. That is based on reading numerous reviews and posts on different forums about both. I've had my X1 for about 6 months and it's great. Mine is mounted directly over my head. It can be heard during quiet scenes, but it doesn't bother me. You need to mount the X1 as close to ceiling as possible due to the image offset. Then you just tilt the projector front up slightly, and use keystone to square off the image. The offset is 36% of image height in 16:9 mode.
    In other words, if your screen is 48" tall the image top will be 16" below lens. Using keystone does not degrade image quality with the X1(read the review at Projectorcentral.com).

11. seanBeren

seanBeren Auditioning

Hi,

I also am in the market for a cheap projector. I am in Oz and going to order from the US as they are so much cheaper, so the warranty issue is not important for me. A refurbished model will still have a new bulb in it, correct?

So which projector should I be looking at for $500-$700?

I will be using the projector in a small room, not much of a throw distance at all (guessing 10-12 feet), mainly for watching DivX files and playing Xbox, and the occasional DVD. I have seen that the 6100 and the X1 are often talked about in this range, but are there others at this price point that I should be considering (remembering that I am happy to buy a refurb)?

Thanks for the help,

Sean

12. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Sean, I think refurbs come with a new bulb. What size screen do you want? You'll need a smaller screen or a short throw projector. You can get a new Sanyo Z1 for $650(I just read that here somewhere).