Projector drop/lift

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DavidNighorn, Jun 18, 2003.

1. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I have a 10.5' ceiling in my theater room. In order to get an acceptable image height with my L300, I would have to have a ceiling mount with a 4' drop. 'Easy' you say. 'All you have to do is build a fixed mount with a 4' pipe to accommodate the drop!'

That's where I bump up against one of the most immovable objects in the universe: the WAF.

So the question is: are there inexpensive scissor lifts out there or has anyone built one? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

David

2. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]

You think you have problems....

My room's ceiling is 12.5' high. I have a 96" 16x9 screen that is mounted quite high and I contemplated for weeks about how I was going to solve this dilemma.... Not having the screen too high off the ground that people would have to strain their necks upward, hot having a mount that was 6' long, not using too much keystone correction on my projector. In the end, I modified my Sony mount by using a pipe in place of their pipe for a 2' extension. I moved the screen fairly high, and I used minimal keystone correction.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You could say I achieved a "balance" on all 3 counts (screen height, mount length, keystone correction).

But that's my story.

As for your setup, I would consider the possibility of making my own drop. I will chime in here later with some options.

4. DavidNighorn

OK. I have checked with Draper and SVS. Lifts such as these cost well over $3,500!!!! Back to the drawing board. There must be some way to DIY one of these things.

David

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Here is a guy who built one http://www.bennedum.org/ht/ click the "projector lift" link on the left.

If I were building one I would try something with a car scissor jack and a motor of some sort (not sure you could get 4 feet of drop with a car jack though).

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

If this is just an LCD or DLP or something, couldn't you just use a pipe within a pipe (depending on how much room you have "in" your ceiling. You could just push the projector up and down and lock it in "up"

7. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Why not just set the projector on the coffee table?

Normally I encourage ceiling mounts (better brightness and out of the way) but your situation sounds like it might make sense to just sit that puppy on a table and call it done.

thoughts?

9. DavidNighorn

Wow. I thought that this thread had died a quiet death. The reason that I cannot use a coffee table mount is that the image ends up being too small and too low for our setup.

I currently have the projector on a sofa table, immediately behind the sofa. This works well in that the image size is perfect and the height is acceptable. However, no one taller than 3' can sit in the center of the sofa as they block the image.

I am going to look at the two DIY mounts listed above to see if I can use/adapt them.

Thanks for the help!

David