Projector display source-watchable?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Franklyn, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Franklyn

Franklyn Auditioning

I am interested in getting a front projector but when I went to some stores to check them out I was very disappointed with the SD images. I was planning on using the projector for my regular (a lot of SD sports) veiwing as well as for DVD's and any HD stuff I wished to watch. I looked at the Sharp and Yamaha DLP displays in the $11,000 range and thought SD stuff was unwatchable. Anyone else agree, disagree? Would a scaler be enough help?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, I find it unwatchable too. DVD is the lowest denominator in my system.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I wouldn't call it unwatchable unless it was a crappy DVD or from a really crappy source. If you are looking at current generation single-chip DLPs, it should look stunning when driven properly by a decent source, even with the internal scaling in the projector, if it's a good DVD. Obviously a bad source will look like crap, and HD done properly will look best, but describe what you mean by "unwatchable." How close are you sitting, how bright is your image?

4. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

It's hard to see the imperfections of SDTV on a small screen. When blowing it up 80+", you see them much easier. Some projectors will be able to deinterlace SDTV content with their deinterlacers and can help a little bit (esp. projectors equipeed with Faroudja processing), but a bad source is a bad source.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

No. DVD is watchable. SDTV is not.

6. John S

John S Producer

SD Projo viewing people, rarely go above 80". SD just gets bad after that period really.

I mean even on my 60", SD is only so so at best. I'm not sure what to ell you there.

I know somebody that is very happy with SD with a 4805 and a 76" pull down screen. Looks pretty darn good all in all. The worst channels still stink though.