Projector Dilemma (Z1 or Z2?)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick Guynn, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

OK, so I had decided to get a projector a while back, and given my limited budget, I chose the Sanyo Z1.
    Now they have introduced (sort of) the Z2.

My dilemma is this: how much are added features worth?

I break it down this way:
    Z2 has increased CR (~1100:1 vs ~700:1)
    Z2 is higher res (1280x720 vs 960x540)
    Z2 has an Iris (allowing adjustment for greater CR trading for light output)
    Z2 has DVI input (Z1 does not)

The speculated street price for the Z2 is ~$1800-$1900. The Z1 can be had for $1200, slightly used ones can be had for around $1k.

So are those advantages really worth a $600-$800 premium? I realize that may not be alot of money form some people, but for that difference, I could upgrade my computer with an HDTV card and the HD space to record HD shows and still have some left over. And all of the reports on Z1 have praised the inmage (with a few minor complaints about screen door), so it's not easy to decide.

Time is not a determining factor for me regarding the wait for the Z2 (it is 'supposed' to be out towards the beginning of next month), but the cash expenditure is. The extra money will not break me, but it puts a significant dent in other (discretionary) expenditures.

Anyone care to throw in an opinion?

TIA,
    RG

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There will always be something around the corner that will be better. That said given that the Z2 should be available fairly soon the wait may not be that long and the specs do seem to indicate it will be a very nice machine. I just ordered the Boxlight 1HD (Z1 clone) since like you funds were tight and I know I'll be happy with the Z1's image. Besides I feel that in the next few years things are really going to change in the projector market so I'd rather not spend to much now only to see it devalue quickly. So I'd say if you have the money buy the Z2 but if you'd rather not spend that much get the Z1 (or boxlight since it has a much better warrenty and is the same or less $)

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I heard info that the Z2 may not be out until end of NOV and maybe more towards the $2500 mark.....

4. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Yeah, that's the thing that worries me. I can see myself possibly stretching for the Z2 if it is $1800. Anything beyond that is really just going to be too much.

I have heard the same reports. It really irks me that Sanyo showed up at CEDIA, showed the Z2 offsite, and didn't bother to give any kind of prospective prices or expected ship dates. In the meantime, we have several European sites putting it on their sales pages (with TBA on price and date).

If I at least knew when Sanyo would say something definitive (I thought it would be CEDIA) on the ship date/pricing, it might make the decision a bit easier.

RG

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I think I will be going with the HD1 due to the better warranty....than thru sanyo...I believe the HD1 has a 3 year dead pixel warranty and the sanyo doesn't. I could be wrong though....