Projector decision help requested.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Miles, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Greg Miles

Greg Miles Extra

Gang,

Hitachi CP-SX5500W versus the SHARP XV-Z9000 versus Marantz VP-12S1

Basically to me the Sharp and the Marantz are about equal but a friend told me to get on the LCOS bandwagon...

If between these 3 price was not an issue...what are the advantages of LCOS versus DLP at these quality levels?

It seems as if the Hitachi has a lot more HDTV scalability.

It is going to replace my infocus in a newly build dedicated theater used for DVD's and HDTV sporting events.

Thanks for the opinions...

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Hitachi LCOS:
    1. No Rainbows at all
    2. >93% pixel fill, which is more than DLP and much more than LCD
    3. Higher brightness, so some ambient light is ok[/list=1]

Sharp:
      1. Fast color wheel means rainbows are more difficult to see
      2. Great colors
      3. High contrast
      4. Middle brightness[/list=1]

Marantz:
        1. Fast color wheel means rainbows are more difficult to see
        2. Great colors
        3. Very high contrast
        4. Lowest brightness[/list=1]

What do you plan to use to drive the projector? HTPC? Scaler? What DVD?

3. Greg Miles

Greg Miles Extra

What do you plan to use to drive the projector? HTPC? Scaler? What DVD?

Phase one is buying a new projector and a Denon 9000 DVD(just because I have a 5800 and am going to upgrade it to a 5803, kinda ...some proprietary connectivity that supposedly gives an advantage.) But I'm open to opinions.

I looked at HTPC's but got so confused I backed away..and I work for Cisco Systems...I should understand this stuff better. I looked at an outboard scaler but didn't want to spend 6-10K for something I don't know if I need yet to meet my level of desired quality.

I have yet to decide the method of HDTV I want but this is phase II I'm leaning toward DirectTV. The Hitachi appears to be the best projector but only operates in 4:3... Will it squeeze or stretch 16:9 to 4:3 or will I just get bars on top and bottom like I do now?

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Ah, very nice DVD and receiver. [​IMG]
    With a HTPC, you're going to get an absolutely excellent picture, but the WAF tends to be low. If you get something with an SDI Silk card, use DScaler, a HiPix HDTV card, and output to DVI, it's going to be extremely difficult to beat without spending thousands and thousand of dollars.
    The Hitachi is 4:3 like you said, but you can turn the top and bottom pixels off (equivalent of 1200 lumen or so, but that's plenty), or get a lens.