What's new

Projector decision help needed (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would have said twin display If I meant TV/projector.Twin screen(like the guy at the firehouse). Get a high gain white for daytime and lower gain for nighttime.Depending on projector, viable option.Have no idea(cause he hasn't said) If he's doing fixed to the wall or electric. No idea how he is doing the center(in the wall makes sense, but how often do people pick the obvious thing?).He could do a fixed wall high gain and mount an electric low gain that slides down in front. The "inch or two", If that much, won't make a bit of difference with an AT screen.One trade-off, that works in this case, of AT is a slight softening of the picture.Maybe he does get WAF approval for two projectors. A cheap canon for daytime (for when "just having an image you can see is good enough") and a better nighttime.Numerous people have taken that route with JVC projectors. Use it for great picture and a different projector for 3D/gaming...as JVC is lackluster at both.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I found a 1.5 gain elite screens cinegrey 5d. Would this screen look good in both dark and modest light situations??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are no reviews, other than YouTube, for that screen.Typically with a ceiling mounted projector, that high of gain is wasted. And, the higher the gain, the smaller the viewing angle.I asked once, will ask again.Is all if your seating inside the screen width, or will people be sitting outside the screen width.And. Are you doing AT or not?I'm done till that those are answered.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Seating will be outside the screen width. How far, I'm not sure, working with a blank canvas right now. Yes I would prefer to do AT.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If people are sitting outside the screen width you want no more than a 1.0 gain(1.2 maybe). The higher the gain...the narrower the field of view. a .7 gain would give people sitting outside the screen almost "plasma viewing angle".

That Cinegrey 1.5 is not AT.

The w7000 gives you(on high power) 22 fl on 1.0 and 25 fl on 1.1...if mounted at 15 feet...for 120"

That is plenty bright for daytime. And you have low-power mode for night use.

The Mits HC7900 does not work if you want to do AT as it needs 1.4 gain just to get to 22 fl. 1.4 ruins the view outside the screen width.

But, if you give up 3D...

A Knoll HP2300 will do 24 fl on a .7 screen.

(all sizes are 120" and 15 feet projector distance...except the HC7900 which would need 13 feet)

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
3d is no deal breaker, I have a 3d tv in my living room and I have watched it once. Am I goingn to be blinding myself with over 20 fL

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna wait until the w7500 is officially released and hope that brings the price of the 7000 down slightly. Again I appreciate everyone's help .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks