Projector choice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BretWeaver, Apr 22, 2006.

1. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be getting a projector for my dedicated HT room and I am trying to decide between the Optoma HD72 and the Sony VPL-HS51A. I can get either for around 2k. Also, when HDMI 1.3 comes out will I be able to upgrade my projector or will I be SOL?

thx

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I would choose the HS51A from those two and as far as I know there will be no way to upgrade either to HDMI 1.3 but you will be ok as either will still work fine although minus the additional features associated with HDMI 1.3.

Chris

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Those are both very nice projectors, but you're comparing LCD to DLP(apples to oranges). Do you know which type you prefer? Also, I thought the Sony was more like $2,500. Have you considered the new Infocus IN76? That's what I plan to buy when the price comes down enough.

4. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Stunt Coordinator

The retail on the sony is actually about 3k but I can get a new one for 2.. I have yet to see it in action (either or them) so I don't know if I prefer LCD or DLP... what is the main difference between them?

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Bret you really need to see these for yourself. i would suggest buying/ordering from some place with a liberal return policy.
    Dlps are generally considered to have greater density to their blacks (for instance the space in a starfield should look black, not dark grey) LCDs have improved in recent years, but are still bested in this area by dlps.
    LCDs also tend to reveal pixel structure more easily, all though this too has been improved in recent years.
    on the other hand some users get headaches/eyestrain from the DLP colorwheels.

that said, The Sony is a very good pj. i have questions about the Optoma due to earlier models having low hour bulb failures. if the optoma performed flawlessly for its 3000 hour bulb rating, i would go with that for $2K.
    but i would have my doubts about that.

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys

I generally prefer DLP over LCD when it comes to front projectors, mainly due to better color purity and the blacker black of DLP. YMMV.

Please note that I recommend you change your bulb after about 70 % of its suggested life. At this age, you will have a 30% drop of light output, which will be visibily noticible when changed out for a new bulb.

Regards

Gregg