Projector Calibration

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Hi Everyone! I have heard a lot about projector calibration. Why do people calibrate their projectors? What do they calibrate it to achieve? Also how can i calibrate my Epson Home Cinema 8350?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Disney WOW disk for ease of use. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357654358&sr=8-4&keywords=spears+and+munsil Spears and Munsil or DVE essentials for those who HAVE to tweak more than the basics because they are OCD geeks. S&M is about to be refreshed, this is the old one, Stacey and Don showed us the new one and it looks worth waiting for: http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357654358&sr=8-1&keywords=spears+and+munsil DVE: http://www.amazon.com/Wow-Blu-ray-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357654358&sr=8-2&keywords=spears+and+munsil

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thank you! Why should I calibrate my projector though ? What is the purpose ?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
arjunsud said:
Thank you! Why should I calibrate my projector though ? What is the purpose ?
The purpose of display calibration is to provide and preserve image fidelity. All video displays require adjustment to maintain correct performance. Video programs are mastered and approved using monitors that are calibrated according to video industry standards. Consumer displays can be adjusted to perform more like professional monitors, so the picture better resembles what the artist intended. Best regards and beautiful pictures, G. Alan Brown, President CinemaQuest, Inc. A Lion AV Consultants affiliate "Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well said! I will add one thing tho: Image fidelity appears to be diametrically opposed to what sells in the the showroom of big box retailers. Retailers like to juice saturation, crank up contrast and sharpness, and introduce motion compensation which removes the film 'look' and makes things look more like a soap opera. So, there is a risk with calibration. You make your display more true to the film creator's intent but somehow it doesn't necessarily have the 'pop' that those other effects can introduce. It's worth it!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
My experience has been that calibration has a mental component for the viewer if you're used to a hyper saturated, overblown image. If I can convince someone who is an ardent "torch mode" fan to stick with a calibrated display for 1 week, they'll never go back. It's just a matter of getting your brain used to the new sensory norm. IMHO of course.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agreed! But there IS that hump to get over to start with, it's an education issue as stores have trained people to think that those qualities are desirable.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Agreed! I didnt realize any of this. To put it in perspective, I have had a Samsung Smart 3DTV for the past 3 years or so and it has been uncalibrated. I will upon advice given to me , try Disney's WOW and see what kind of difference it makes!

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thank you that was most helpful. If I calibrate my projector though is there a custom memory setting to do it ? I picked up the epson 5020ub . Or will I have to overwrite the current settings on the given modes ?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Thank you that was most helpful. If I calibrate my projector though is there a custom memory setting to do it ? I picked up the epson 5020ub . Or will I have to overwrite the current settings on the given modes ?
Most projectors have 2 or 3 user settings. Check the manual. Before you calibrate it, make sure the projector has been running for at least 30 minutes.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Why the 30 minutes ? And is that how long I should wait before calibration ? I will be using Disneys WOW

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Why the 30 minutes ? And is that how long I should wait before calibration ? I will be using Disneys WOW
I don't know exactly why, but it's common calibration knowledge. My first cal. disc said that in the instructions. The Disney disc probably says it also. Yes, let it warm up 30 minutes before doing any test patterns.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Light bulb changes colors in the first little while when you turn on the projector. regards

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings