Projector cables through ceiling tiles

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jim Mcc, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I want to build a DIY ceiling mount for a projector, and I need to know if I should run the power cord and component video cables separate? I was thinking of running them both in a pipe for the mount if it wouldn't cause interference. I want to hide cables as best I can. Thanks.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've often seen it done; many of the 'real' mounts encourage it - especially the motorized mounts. Though sometimes the scissor-lifts will have the power go down one side, the signals down the other. The last 'home-brew' mount I saw had power seperate, but that was a special case, too - power to the projector housing was in the form of two 3-phase 60amp/phase feeder circuits. The cage itself had two three-phase breaker panels...

(granted, the projectors in question were Christie Roadie S-12 projectors; 3-chip 12000 lumen DLP large-venue projectors... four of 'em.)

In my own case, with my really bizarre mount (combination of shelf and ceiling mount) I have power comeing in seperately. Given some of the other 'unclean' conditions that my signal cables are doing, I don't know if this really matters at all.

Leo Kerr

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This is generally frowned upon, but I think really “it all depends.” I would hesitate to do this for a long run, but if you’re talking about just the distance of the mounting pipe, it should be fine. After all, that’s why we use shielded cables for line-level signals, to reject EMI from things like power cords.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt