Projector bulb life/cost

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobinW, May 30, 2002.

1. RobinW

RobinW Auditioning

I'm thinking of investing in a front projector, but I'm concerned about ongoing costs.
    What is the lifespan of the bulb in a video projector?
    What do they cost?
    Do projectors use a standard type of bulb, or are they proprietary?
    If the latter, are there cost-effective alternatives to the manufacturer's own bulbs?
    Are there any other ongoing costs? (eg, do LCD/DLP panels need replacing after a time?)

Thanks,
    Robin

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Lifespans, costs, and bulbs vary from each projector brand/model. On average I think you can expect around 2000-3000 hours of bulb usage, around $250-$350 bulb cost.

Not to scare you but my current projector blew 2 bulbs because it was powered off incorrectly by others (did not allow bulb to go through cool-down process and it damaged a board. Lucky for me it was under warranty but the cost would have been around can$1200.)

3. Dan Rankin

Dan Rankin Auditioning

I had the problem with bulb burn out and board loss in my projector due to occasional power outages until I plugged the projector into a uninteruptible power supply. Now it has enough power to run through the cool down cycle after a brown out or power outage.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Note that these are exceptionally rare cases. We don't want to scare you. Just make sure you don't make the same mistake.