What's new

Projector aspect ratio help please.. (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just got a Digital Projection iVision HDX, front DLP projector installed this afternoon. We spent about an hour calibrating and fine tuning. The stup can still use a bit of work, my electronics guy was having some difficulty connecting the HD Leeza and getting it to function so he'll be returning in about 2 weeks to put the finnishing touches on everything but for now I'm just happy to finally have my home theater in place and to be watching movies! I'll try to upload some pics this week to show everyone, I'm really excited!

Anyways, this being my first projector, I would like some help figuring out the aspect ratio functions. Please bare with me as I am not as experienced as many of you.

There seems to be 5 different remote functions for adjusting to the correct a.r.

- Fill 16:9

- Letterbox to 16:9

- Letterbox ST to 16:9

- Zoom

- Anamorphic

- Fill aspect ratio

I would like to know which functions to apply to which discs as an example...

I wanted to start with a classic film in a 1:33:1 aspect ratio.

I had a lot of overscan and had to slightly compress the image and than play around with the horizontal and vertical frame..

Now I would just like to know what functions to use for films shot in cinemascope, open matte, non-anamorphic titles, etc.

Can anyone please give me an example of a title or DVD that I might possibly associate with each function?

I watched 5 minutes of Sleeping Beauty in I think anamorphic mode and it didn't look quite right.

I would really appreciate any help and just a rundown of the basics.

Thanks in advance!!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
HELP!!!

When I select "Fill 16:9" for 1:33:1 fullscreen features, why am I losing so much picture on the top and bottom to overscan?!?!?

I thought this was one of the pros to going with a projector setup...

I don't think I experienced this much overscan with my old CRT television!!!

This is really frustrating... what am I doing wrong??

Also, please explain the difference between "Letterbox to 16:9" and "Letterbox ST to 16:9" and what each function is for?

Also... what would I use "Anamorphic" for?

I assumed for anamorphicly encoded DVD's but when I just auditioned Gladiator, the picture looked like crap and the framing didn't seem right... I had to select "Fill aspect ratio".

Please don't tell me I just bought a shitty projector without proper functions to accomodate!!!

THIS is why I bought a projector in the first place!!!

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Letterbox to 16:9 ST -- Takes what plays as a letterboxed picture with subtitles below the picture on a 4:3 TV and expands the video material to nearly fill a 16:9 screen but keeping the subtitles visible which means keeping a lot of black area on the bottom. Depending on the qactual aspect ratio of the movie, some black top area will also be present.

Letterbox to 16:9 regular -- From what plays as a letterboxed picture, takes the inner 3/4'th of the video frame which would represent a 16:9 shape on a 4:3 TV and expands it to fill a 16:9 screen. Depending on the aspect ratio of the movie, some black top and bottom area will still be present.

On a 16:9 TV (or projector) there should be a "4:3 mode" with black sidebars and some TV's (and projectors) call that "normal". Use this for open matte movies also.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming your projector is native 16:9.

Put your DVD player in 16:9 mode and leave it that way.

This forum ate half of the typing on my previous reply apparently treating a back button as an unwanted ninth edit. Instead of retypign it the best I can suggest is put up a still frame with known content (a grid pattern from AVIA) is good, and compare what you get with each of your aspect ratio modes.

I would guess you shoud use anamorphic mode for anaomorphic DVD's.

Seem to me like fill 16:9 and zoom do the same thing which does not make sense.

Cinemascope can be either anamorphic or non-anamorphci.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks