Projector around 1000, help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brandon T, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Brandon T

Brandon T Auditioning

Hey, my brother and I are looking to buy a projector for around 1000, we aren't looking to spend over 1300. All we are going to be doing with it is watching dvds from a dvd player. Any suggests on what we should get? We were looking at the Infoucs X1. Does anyone have this projector or experience with it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Brandon

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I just demoed the X1 Very nice. Some more info would help.
    Room size , what do you plan on for a screen, light control.

Go to my weblink and then pics and then Infocus X1...any questions let me know.

3. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

4. Brandon T

Brandon T Auditioning

Hey, thanks for the info you guys. The room is pretty large, we have white walls so we were just planning on using one of them. As far a light control we have one sliding glass door in the room, but it has a huge curtain, so it stays dark (I don't see us watching movies during the daytime anyway.) Another reason we are looking at the x1 is because it is carried by best buy, for which we have a number of gift cards saved up. Also infoucs is running this special where you can get 3 more years warranty free on the x1. Anything else I should know before looking at getting it? Thanks again!

Brandon

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How big of a screen do you want. The X1 is a long throw projector ...meaning to get say a 92" screen you need it to be between 14' -17' lense from the wall(screen).

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

7. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any pics/screenshots of these rainbows??

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Dom, you can't photograph a rainbow, its more of an inside your head thing than physically on the screen (thats why some don't see them). Its like an optical illusion where you see a flash of color because your eye is faster than the colorwheel the X1 uses. There is a website that does a good job of showing what it appears like but I don't have the link. Anyone?

I am personally of the opinion that everybody can see rainbows if you know what to look for, but its just a matter of if they distract you and to what level. They don't bother me and now that I am on 500 hours, I barely even notice them. As long as I don't tell people, I have never had anybody notice them either.

9. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks - I'd be interested in seeing that website Jed mentioned if anyone has a link.

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

11. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Wow... that's seems really noticeable and quite annoying...

is that exaggerated, or is that pretty accurate?

12. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

It is exaggerated so anyone can see it, not just people who are susceptible to rainbows. A real rainbow would be much more of a burst or flash, about 10 times faster than what you see there.

13. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Yes that is true but that is the only example I could find.

14. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

With that budget you owe it to yourself to check out the Sanyo Z1 or Studio Experience 1HD units as well. They're native 16:9 projectors that run 1/4 HD LCD panels which means they excell at DVD and are very good for HD material.