What's new

Projector around 1000, help (1 Viewer)

Brandon T

Auditioning
Hey, my brother and I are looking to buy a projector for around 1000, we aren't looking to spend over 1300. All we are going to be doing with it is watching dvds from a dvd player. Any suggests on what we should get? We were looking at the Infoucs X1. Does anyone have this projector or experience with it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Brandon

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just demoed the X1 Very nice. Some more info would help.
Room size , what do you plan on for a screen, light control.

Go to my weblink and then pics and then Infocus X1...any questions let me know.

Scott.T

Agent
The X1 is awesome.
If you are not sensitive to rainbows! Some people find the X1 unwatchable due to rainbows, so I would advise viewing one first with a arange of material. High contrast, fast moving stuff is worst. I didn't find them too bad, but for me they were a distraction from the movie.

I recently bought an Epson Home 10 (RRP in the US is $1299 I think). I am very happy with it. It is widescreen native, has good colour, minimal screendoor, and no rainbows.

Brandon T

Auditioning
Hey, thanks for the info you guys. The room is pretty large, we have white walls so we were just planning on using one of them. As far a light control we have one sliding glass door in the room, but it has a huge curtain, so it stays dark (I don't see us watching movies during the daytime anyway.) Another reason we are looking at the x1 is because it is carried by best buy, for which we have a number of gift cards saved up. Also infoucs is running this special where you can get 3 more years warranty free on the x1. Anything else I should know before looking at getting it? Thanks again!

Brandon

ChadLB

Screenwriter
How big of a screen do you want. The X1 is a long throw projector ...meaning to get say a 92" screen you need it to be between 14' -17' lense from the wall(screen).

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Anything else I should know before looking at getting it? Thanks again!
If you don't already know, you do need a breakout cable to watch progressive scan or HDTV on it. Besides that, you are going to love it (as long as you can handle the rainbows). I see rainbows but do not find them distracting.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Dom, you can't photograph a rainbow, its more of an inside your head thing than physically on the screen (thats why some don't see them). Its like an optical illusion where you see a flash of color because your eye is faster than the colorwheel the X1 uses. There is a website that does a good job of showing what it appears like but I don't have the link. Anyone?

I am personally of the opinion that everybody can see rainbows if you know what to look for, but its just a matter of if they distract you and to what level. They don't bother me and now that I am on 500 hours, I barely even notice them. As long as I don't tell people, I have never had anybody notice them either.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks - I'd be interested in seeing that website Jed mentioned if anyone has a link.

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... that's seems really noticeable and quite annoying...

is that exaggerated, or is that pretty accurate?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
It is exaggerated so anyone can see it, not just people who are susceptible to rainbows. A real rainbow would be much more of a burst or flash, about 10 times faster than what you see there.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yes that is true but that is the only example I could find.
That was the one I was referring to, thanks for finding it.

On a side note, it took me about 4 days before I saw rainbows and it took me about 4 more days to forget them. I will admit the were extremely annoying at first and I almost came close to returning it but since none of my friends saw anything I decided to try it for the 30 day trial to see if things improved. Somehow as fast as they came, they just kind of went too. Like always, the more you think of something the more it will bother you, like screen door or fan noise. I just got to a point where I didn't think of rainbows, but as you know, YMMV.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
With that budget you owe it to yourself to check out the Sanyo Z1 or Studio Experience 1HD units as well. They're native 16:9 projectors that run 1/4 HD LCD panels which means they excell at DVD and are very good for HD material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks