Projector Advice...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Peter-P, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Peter-P

Peter-P Auditioning

Hi, I've been doing research into starting my home theater room over the past few months, and have only recently started looking at front projectors as a possible solution. It seems like it might be the best solution, as the current room that will be my theater room is fairly narrow, but any house that we move to will have a larger room dedicated to home theater setup. I have done a little bit of reading at projectorcentral.com, and got a good start, but I was curious what folk's opinions were on the projectors?

I'm probably looking to spend in the $4,500-$5,000 range for projector/screen.

Recommendations?
    Are front projectors viable for gaming purposes? (probably will be 60% movies, 30% tv, 30% video games)
    What about projector/viewing distance?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

I like around 1.5 x screenwidth as a seating distance from the screen.

$4500 to $5K provides you with a lot of options. Perhaps the first thing you need to determine is what aspect ratio you want... 4x3 or 16x9? For me, I watch primarily movies so 16x9 was the sensible option. If you watch a lot of 4x3 then that may be the option for you.

Read this... 16x9 vs. 4x3 - Which type of equipment setup should I select?

and then read this... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?

BTW, I would lean towards making your own screen. If you are not really comfortable with making a screen, you can do something as simple as painting the wall to desired colour and then frame it on all four sides with the black border material.

3. Peter-P

Peter-P Auditioning

Thanks for the links, I will take the time to read them a bit more thoroughly this evening. projectorcentral also had a pretty good article about the differences between 4:3 and 16:9 when selecting front projection screens, specifically, that will prove helpful.

How difficult is it to DIY the screen?

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

It's pretty easy to get a basic screen put together. I myself was not interested in working with fabric, having to stretch it, etc. so I went with Sintra, a semi-rigid PVC sign material available at any professional sign shop. This material can also be painted with the Goo products or various mixes people have experimented with. You can check out My Gear in my sig to see some photos of what I did.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

My vote is to go 16x9 period...regardless of gaming etc. The reason is that games and "TV" may often be 4x3...but you want the highest-quality program material (DVD and HD) to be the "biggest" thing you watch. It also adds to the drama when the movie is bigger than your sit-com.

In any case, with digital projectors, there is no burn-in issue to worry about...so you can watch video in 4x3 mode or play grahics all day with no burn-in like with a CRT display.

In your price range, I'd push for the BenQ 8700+. It's HD resolution at 1280 x 720 res and has YUV/RGB and DVI input. I have this PJ, and it is awesome. Great PQ, and you can get it online for close to $4K. You'll need a darkened room and a screen with some gain to make the most of it...but even on a white wall most folks would say it looks "incredible".

I certainly did!

-dave [​IMG]