Projection TV vs CRT HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Roger, Sep 11, 2004.

1. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

Is it better to buy a projection widescreen or 36" CRT widescreen TV? I have noticed that picture of CRT is better when viewing close.So which ones better.

How is philips pixel plus is it a HDTV?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Size. If you want a picture bigger than 40" you must go projection (or plasma), if you want a 36" or smaller picture, RPTV does tend to be grainy (if you can get a set that small).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

A projection TV can be CRT based, as well as digital (DLP/LCD/LCOS etc) based, so your comparison is not necessarily an easy one. You can compare amongs the digital RPTVs, as wel ass those versus the CRT RPTVs, and then again all that against a CRT direct-view set. IMO a CRT front or rear projection display done right at least maintains, and IMO improves on a CRT direct view, while increasing the picture size. A larger picture, however, demands better video processing for higher resolutions, or good in-set processing.

4. John Roger

I am currently looking at Philips 36" widescreen pixel plus vs 46" widescreen CRT projections of philips and toshiba.

I want an affordable set.So plasmas and LCDs are not an option.

Which ever is better rated, size + picture vs size + picture.
    Its quite confusing because CRT look much better in showrooms but someone told me when you take it to your home the difference isn't much.
    Is the CRT so good in picture to sacrifice the 10" bigger in size?

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You still seem confused. I just said that a CRT RPTV done right will, IMO maintain or improve on the PQ of a direct view CRT. Direct views have a pixel layout similar, but not as objectionable (because of the small size of the display) as the SDE on digital projection displays (RPTVs or digital FP). RPTVs can throw a very smooth picture without any pixels.

6. John S

John S Producer

I'm going to state, that I find CRT RPTV, to have a better picture with more resolution than CRT direct view sets.

CRT Direct View sets, will toast the RPT on off axis viewing though hands down. This has just been my experience, but plenty of opinions out there for the direct views too. But I have yet to see a direct view match the raw resolution and pq of a 3 CRT Gunned RPTV.

7. John Roger

how about the pixel plus??

8. Stephen-R

Stephen-R Agent

The reason I went with a direct view CRT is not only PQ, but also a CRT if taken care of properly will last a long time. I don't want to be buying a new TV every few years. Or, replacing parts. There are some of us that are married that like to stay married. [​IMG] I got real sick earlier this year and my wife in pity and weakness gave the "nod" to purchase a new TV so I could have something to do while healing. Then again she enjoys it as much as I, she just won't admit it....

Silly Woman....

9. John Roger

It is quite true that RPTVs are better than conventional direct view sets.But how do they compare with the latest HDTV direct view sets like pixel plus.
    Do you think an RPTV is better in that case aswell?

The guy in the showroom told me if you want size go for RPTV if you want picture quality go for direct view.Whatever the case go for HDTV.Is that all?

10. John S

John S Producer

I wish I were more in tune with Pixel plus....

But here is the theory on it...

One CRT, has to do everything/every color, every pass.
    3 guns get to only produce one color.

Now, were the direct views really shine, is when you stand up, or move away from center. This is called viewing angle, and direct views just corner the market on this particular.

I read a description of pixel plus, but not sure I understand anything about it, beyond the marketing hype.

11. RichG

RichG Agent

I have a Hitachi 57X500 and a Sony XBR910 and the XBR910 is clearly sharper. However, the 57X500 is the one I am drawn to for watching movies because it it much more lifelike and 3 dimensional looking.

12. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    From the Philips website:

Basically, this sounds like marketing-speak for yet another proprietary image "enhancement" that purports to improve the picture by adding detail and (in this case) colors that were never there, but sorely lacking.

I found it particulary interesting that this "pixel enhancing" technology is featured on a 32" television that is apparantly a direct-view CRT (I'm assuming that "Real Flat picture tube technology" is, in fact, a tube, not LCD) which doesn't even HAVE pixels.

Granted, I've not seen "Pixel Plus" in action, but most in this forum prefer to disable ALL artificial picture enhancements. Certainly, I would not judge my television purchase based solely on a feature that would likely not be used.

-Jason

13. John Roger

A tube doesn't have pixels?Then why is computer resolution measured in pixels even on CRT monitors?

Looking at the pixel plus it looked like viewing a DVD on computer.Progressive and smooth but there was some pixelation.No pixelation in RPTVs but some of the RPTVs i could make out the lines.But some sets don't display lines maybe due to upconversion.

The guy told me Sony is the best in CRT directviews and Philips and Hitachi are the best in RPTVs.

14. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Computer resolution is measured in pixels because the computer's video card works that way. On a CRT monitor the screen can be divided up into pixels of many different sizes and shapes as represented by the scan lines and their content (as opposed to something like DLP or plasma where the pixels on the screen or display element are of a fixed size and shape.

Actually there are what could be called pixels on a direct view screen because the CRT has a shadow mask and a dot pitch. For most purposes, one pixel of subject matter spans several "pixels" on the screen, for example a cluster with red and green spots on a top row and blue and red spots on a bottom row.

15. John Roger

I have decided to go for RPTV.I know there are many different types of RPTVs.But i want one which gives smooth picture even while watching SD(i dont want scan lines visible).So how do i know if the TV upconverts the normal 480i signals to HD or progressive?

And what is line doubling?