projection TV,s disapointing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Feb 25, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

WHy is it that all projection tv,s dont really look as good as regular tube type tv,s?? Now im quite knowledgable about tv including both types. Now I fully understand about viewing angles,convergence errors and about calibrating a tv. What im referring to is also not about being able to see snowiness etc in a larger picture etc. What bothers me about projections is even the good ones dont seem to offer a picture that has great black levels or extremely detailed pictures....and yes im talking about a calibrated tv with proper lighting and sitting at an optimal distance as compared to a tube TV. I think what im seeing or not seeing is in projections is letters and small details etc seem sometimes to be "unfocused" for lack of a better term. Not all of the ones Ive seen exhibited this but most do. playing a movie like BUGS LIFE looks fantastic on projection but a regular movie with dark scenes etc just isnt very impressive. It seems projection tvs seem to favor bright colorful scenes but at the expense of detail and a good look with a dark movie. The WATERBOY mostly looks great but try watching a movie like HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER...Not sure what im really saying but a lot of movies just dont look good on projections unless they are full of colorful brightly light scenes.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

That also depends on what type of RPTV it is. Some of them are DLP, some of them are CRT and some are LCD. The LCD ones should suffer from the same shortcomings as a LCD based front projection system... the ones you just described.

3. Michael St. Clair

Sharpness is not resolution. A picture can be very sharp while lacking in detail.
    I've never seen a CRT that can look as 'film-like' as a well set up 480p/1080i projection set. To me, 'film-like' is good.
    Also, I've never seen a projection set in a regular store that looked a third as good as it can without calibration. Just reducing the brightness and contrast and turning the sharpness down to zero (and choosing an SVM-free mode if the set has one) makes most sets look 10X better.
    But, even set up and in the home, I've not seen a CRT that can match a projector for picture detail. Sharpness, yes. Detail, no. Give me detail.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Rear projection sets have a screen rib pitch that produces the same resolution limitations as dot pitch does on a direct view set. But this should not be a problem on sets bigger than 45 inches.
    Convergence is a major shortcoming of projection sets, both front and rear. You almost have to have microprocessor controlled 50 (49) or more point convergence adjustments to get consistent satisfactory results. Even so it is not unusual for the convergence to drift ast he set warms up,m thus it is usually calibrated in the fully warm condition and you wait half an hour before putting in the DVD if you want a good sharp picture at the beginning of your movie.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

RPTVs, even if calibrated, are rarely focused 100%. In particular, the blue gun tends to be de-focused at the factory. A good focusing (both electrical and mechanical), and a thorough convergence job can make most any RPTV look fantastic once calibrated.

Also, even HDTV-ready RPTVs are usually limited to 480p or 1080i resolution. FPTVs are generally capable of 720p or better, and have higher quality electronics, optics and CRTs, which is why they generally look better.

KJP

6. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

hey I checked out the projection tvs I was looking at a bit more.......Yes some of the problems were caused by the sharpness set too high and the scan velocity modulation being set to "on" on the hitachi's. Another problem I found particular to a few TV,s was yes the blue guns were out of focus. I tried a convergence pattern and the blue was about a half inch wide through most of the picture but the other colors were about a quarter inch wide. The last thing I found out was yes the "glare screen" for lack of a better name..lol....was causing a lot of problems in the stores I visited. One tv a panasonic 16x9 47inch without the screen..looked fantastic..!! So I guess a lot of the problems are caused more by a poorly setup (or not setup at all) TV and the amount of glare by a stores flourescent lighting.[​IMG]

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

A light controlled viewing environment, back lighting, and good setup are all ingredients needed to really bring out the image fidelity impossible to sample at factory settings and in showrooms. Unfortunately, getting to that magical level of setup is going to require professional calibration and adjustment of a real master, not merely a basic grayscale callibrator.

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A projected display is less forgiving of poor source material than a small CRT display. Edge enhancement, pixelization, or chroma noise that are not all that noticeable on a small CRT display become glaringly obvious when projected on a big screen. I find a good DVD to be the MINIMUM quality I want to watch on my front projector, and it REALLY shines with HDTV. The poor quality of NTSC is quite noticeable with such a large picture.

As has been noted, a good quality projected picture is highly dependent on lighting conditions and calibration.