Projection TV or Projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I am looking at upgrading the video in my life. I have been watching the falling prices on the smaller hdtv's and liking every minute of it. I'm looking at a mitsu 46805, looks to be a great tv. but, I've been looking around at projectors and you can get a pretty good one for about $2000 the same price as the tv. Here is my question, I am living in an appartment and am about 10 feet from my living room wall. Now would I get just as good a picture with a projector as I would the mitsu? The projector I'm looking at is the Toshiba TLP-470, I don't know much about projectors so any advice would be good.

Thanks

Nick L

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I would think the quality of a $2000 projector would be substantially lower than the quality of a $2000 RPTV, although I couldn't say anything about the specific two you mention.

Also, the projector is more troublesome to set up and requires a much darker room.

3. Maza

Maza Auditioning

Not necessarily IMO, if you are interested in projetors, i recommend that you visit the avsforum.com to gather great information. Based on all the information, I bought a Nec LT150 for $2,000 which I think gives a stunning 120' picture.

I agree it is not for any application, but for a light controlled environment you can have a great picture at that price.

Maza

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Maza has the ticket. The lt150 is suppose to be a good bang for the buck.

Jon

5. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Avs forum is a GREAT place to read and learn.You might also take a look at www.projectorcentral.com and look at the used projectors,type in your price range and see what they have to offer.I looked last night and there are a few sweet deals.

6. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I bought a 52" RPTV a couple of years ago, since then I got a great deal on a projector. Today the 52" RPTV is only used by me to watch CNN when everyone else is asleep or out. The projector is all anyone uses now.

Does that answer the question.

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Same as Bill here. I have a 65" Widescreen RP in one room and a 108" setup with a front projector in the other. We only watch standard definition on the RPTV.

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I have a 65" RPTV that serves primary HT purposes right now, but my goal is a FP unit in a future dedicated HT. Then, the 65-incher will be a secondary unit.

There is a lot to learn about front projectors (I'm in the process of trying to figure it all out) but other posters have given great advice about where to go to learn.

9. Carlos_R

Carlos_R Extra

CRT FP is the way to go (digital for those who prefer point and shoot) set up is not that difficult. for an apartment digital might be your best bet small size compared to a crtfp.

good luck

carlos-r

ECP4500 (CRTFP)

80X45 (16x9 diy screen)

HTPC-Radeon 64VIVO, WIN/Me

cnn machine: 32" Sony vvega

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

After looking extensively at large 16:9 RPTVs, I went with FPTV instead. I could not be more pleased. Instead of having to lug around and move in a 300 lb 65" Toshiba, I carried in my new LT150 with one hand under my arm (3 lbs). As far as quality goes, it pretty much beats almost every set I've seen out of the box, with the exception of some of the Pioneer Elites. And I haven't even calibrated it yet.

Plus, FPTV has a high WAF (Wife Approval Factor) since it isn't nearly as intrusive as an RPTV. And WAF is everything.....

11. Steve B

Steve B Extra

If you can control the light going into that room, Front Projection is the way to go. Remember that most RPTV's are just CRT projectors stuck in a box. You pay for an expensive mirror, box, and screen. With a Front projector, you can optimize any way you want.

Best Picture: Used Front CRT

Easy Set Up with good picture: Digial Front Projector

Poor Light Control in room: Go with the rear projector.

You see a lot of people talk about the Pioneer Elite RPTV. They are great, but not even in the same ball park as a good FP CRT (that can be bought used for less money).

Steve

12. JasG

JasG Auditioning

I have a 1600 lumen XGA DLP and find that even without light control, you can have a very watchable image.

Darker movies require a darker room, but for sports, I find normal room lighting acceptable.

As Matt said, FP can pretty much blow RP away - particularly if size matters - but mounting & cabling take planning & work.

As a plus, I use a wireless keyboard and web surf from the couch.

HDTV at XGA resolution sounds like a bad idea, but looks AMAZING!