projection TV help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Kahn, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I am new to projection TV, the only kind I really have experience with (at the sports bar) are the 3 tube crt projectors
    I will watch mainly normal TV so my screen will be 4 by 3
    the letter-boxing on movies has never bothered me on my 32 inch sony
    I am considering either getting a used CRT projector or a new Infocus X1 or Panasonic PT-L300U
    I have never seen the picture projected by an LCD or DLP projector and know of no one in the Cincinnati area that can show me one

I would hate to spend $1500 to 2000 on one of these new projectors only to find out I did not like the picture

any recommendations?

I have already been looking at projector central but really need to see something so I can relate to "800 lumen's" and 300 to 1 contrast ratio

Is there anyone in the Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus/Indy/Louisville area that will let me see what one of the new projectors will do?
  2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Nov 19, 2002
    You will not like the picture if you are on regular cable or satellite service. I have a 6' wide 16/9 screen and dish network. Regular tv is ok, but it is not going to blow you away. I expect if I had a larger 4/3 screen, I would hate it. For regular tv, smaller is better.

Now, movies on dvd are a different thing entirely. It is so beautiful, it hurts. Until you have actually watched a movie on a good projector, you don't know what you have missed your whole life.

I have the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and can't recommend it strongly enough