projection size???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sheldon-m, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

what is a good size for a projected picture? I have been thinking about infocus X1, and it does not have short throw lens. it's max diag 72 to 82". My room is about 12'9".I like the X1 for the cost and the lamp life(and cost of lamp). I have looked up the Z1 & CP-s225w(Hitachi)and the contrast ratio is very low. Z1-800:1 CP-s225w-500:1. X1- 2000:1. Now how big of a factor is this? Because I have light that seeps through the blinds. The lumens level Z1-700, X1-1100, & CP-1400. What would the play in my partially lit room? now if you have native 16x9 there sould not be any black lines? well the reason why I ask is because I have a toshiba 57" wide sceen and it still shows the black lines. Someone told me that it is some times the movie. I'm not sure though. I'm new to front projectors and these are the one people on this site recommended. so any feed well help. Thx

2. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Off the cuff, a good size of image for a projector seems to be 100" on the diagonal. For widescreen
    Ambient light can be a big factor when it comes to contrast. If you can, use drapes to block out all of the light. Otherwise look for a higher lumenen rating with a higher contrast rating to help fight against the ambient light issue.
    Native 16:9 projectors will still show some "black bar" area (except for a few movies like Shrek, Monsters Inc. which have an aspect ratio of exactly 16:9 or 1.78:1). Movies like Saving Private Ryan are 1.85:1 and will show less black bar area than 2.35:1 movies, such as The Matrix Reloaded. It is always the movie aspect ratio that causes your unused portion of the image.
    The X1 is a 4:3 or "fullscreen" aspect ratio, which is the same as a regular television image. If you plan on watching TV, Satellite or playing a gaming console on your PJ, 4:3 would work ok. Though it will not look as good as a DVD.
    No disrespect intended, but check out avsforum.com for lots of technical info on PJs. I am learning too at the moment.
    Also check out projectorcentral.com.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I have a home theater and also use front projectors at work. In the home theater the room is completely dark, but in the office the projectors are used in rooms with most of the lights on.

Contrast ration is important in a home theater. Anything less than 800:1 is going to be noticed. In my classrooms at work, we use high lumen projectors (2000 lumens) and a contrast ratio of only 400:1. No one at work cares what the contrast ratio is, only that they can see the image on the screen. Where you have moderate to high ambient light, the lumen output and not the contrast ratio is what is important.

4. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! I think I'm going to lean towards the X1.
    it seems to fit the bill. THX

5. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent