What's new

Projection screen videogame "burn-in": Myth or Reality? (1 Viewer)

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, My Hitachi 53 widescreen is just at a month old. I started doing research as soon as it was delivered. I didn't know the risks of burn-in. This is my first RPTV. After much reading, and little funds, I decided to run the THX optimizer on one of the DVD's. I ended up having the contrast down to 38%. This is only a temporary fix until I can get the AVIA. Last week, I got my PS2. I've played it on the widescreen. But, my playing habits aren't typical. I'll probably play about 2 hours total, but not on the same game, and taking breaks in between. When we pause the game, we either switch the source, to ANT or to Sat. Im trying to be very cautious with this set. As for TV viewing, Ive noticed that some station ID's come on then go off. Or they get a break during commercials. My favorite channels are A&E and FX. I probably watch about 3 hours of tv a day, if Im lucky, but never the same channel. Ive got the brightness down to 50, the auto-color off. Thats about the best I can do. And I can still watch this set with the lights on and it's not a problem. You cant avoid these static images, they're everywhere, but I try to keep my eye on what I watch.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to throw my experience in for those who may be interested.

I have 57" Sony which was purchased in Jan, 2001. I've got Contrast around 40% and brightness a bit lower and it's been that way since I got it. I adjusted with VE when it came out of the box. We watched some TV, but I had cable disconnected because it was too much $$ for a bunch of rubbish.

We now watch a mix of 2.35:1, 1.33:1 and 16x9 filling material.

I've not noticed any burn in and I've got a pretty good eye. (I can tell my wife has the input on S video instead of component from across the room.)

So, watch a variety of movies in varying aspect ratios so that all parts of the tubes are exercised equally and don't leave menus and such on the screen.

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading all the posts, going back and forth about whether or not to play the PS2 and XBOX on my new 53" Sony. For now, I think I will not. I do have a 27" JVC in my bedroom and will probably connect the game systems to that TV. Just not worth the risk, on a brand new $2200 television. Thanks for all the responses, varied and interesting indeed.

***Also...a question about something I've noticed. I am no DVD expert, but I bought a nice prog-scan SONY DVD player with my HDTV...connected through component inputs. I am finding that some DVD's look crisper and cleaner than others. Odd. I am curious...shouldn't they ALL basically look the same quality? Is it simply in the different remastering and conversion over from film? I bought the U2: ELEVATION BOSTON TOUR DVD and it takes up the entire screen...and looks AMAZING. Then, I watched BOOGIE NIGHTS, widescreen and it just doesn't look as crisp. Kinda fuzzy around some edges. It almost seems that the more a movie takes up the screen, the better it looks. Is this common, or is it just the particular DVD I am watching? I have the DVD MENU turned to PAN & SCAN, but it says in the instructions that the aspect ratio of a particular DVD will override the player menu settings. And since almost all DVD's are only widescreen now...this would seem to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread