What's new

Projection Screen Selection (1 Viewer)

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello All,

I am planning on purchasing the Sharp XV-Z12000 projector and I have done some research for a screen and this is, from what I can tell, would be a good choice for the projector selection.

Draper Onyx Screen with HiDefGrey Surface HDTV Format (106" Total Viewing Area, 52" x 92" w/o frame, 60" x 100" w/ frame)

What is your opinion about this screen and also I would be grateful for opinions on the projector as well?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Blevins

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello All,

I am planning on purchasing the Sharp XV-Z12000 projector and I have done some research for a screen and this is, from what I can tell, would be a good choice for the projector selection.

Draper Onyx Screen with HiDefGrey Surface HDTV Format (106" Total Viewing Area, 52" x 92" w/o frame, 60" x 100" w/ frame)

What is your opinion about this screen and also I would be grateful for opinions on the projector as well?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Blevins

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Screen selection 101

Match aspect ratio to PJ. Don't know if the sharp you've selected is 16-9 or 4-3.

Size determined by how far from screen seating will be. You will want to be in the range of 1.6x to 2.0x the screen width. Also, if there is inflexibility in PJ placement, make sure your PJ can throw an image size to match the screen boundrys. The size adjustments on most PJ's are relatively narrow.

Choose gray if ambient light is an issue, white if picture brightness is an issue.

"High gain" screens generally have the penality of reducing viewing angle. Avoid these if some seating is at a large angle to the screen.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Screen selection 101

Match aspect ratio to PJ. Don't know if the sharp you've selected is 16-9 or 4-3.

Size determined by how far from screen seating will be. You will want to be in the range of 1.6x to 2.0x the screen width. Also, if there is inflexibility in PJ placement, make sure your PJ can throw an image size to match the screen boundrys. The size adjustments on most PJ's are relatively narrow.

Choose gray if ambient light is an issue, white if picture brightness is an issue.

"High gain" screens generally have the penality of reducing viewing angle. Avoid these if some seating is at a large angle to the screen.

TimB

Agent
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to say that this forum is great for finding information. My first question/comment I have relates to choosing a projection screen.

I just recently ordered a Sony VPL-HS20 for my first front projection system. I am now looking at Draper for the screen company. I am looking at the screen below:

92" Draper Silhouette (HDTV)

I guess the biggest question is, should I get the High Contrast Grey, or the Matte White? Most of my viewing will be at night, and the only sunlight coming in is ambient (no window in the room points directly at the sun during viewing hours). I guess I am just worried about how the picture will look on that Grey.

By the way, here is a rundown on the system (so far):
Yamaha VX-1400 (7.1)
Energy Connoisseur CC-1 Maple Silver Center Channel
Energy Connoisseur C-7 ( x 2) Maple Silver Fronts
Energy Connoisseur CR-1 ( x 4) Maple Silver Surrounds
Subwoofer is TBD still

Thanks for the help on this one :)

- Tim (first but definitely not last post)

TimB

Agent
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to say that this forum is great for finding information. My first question/comment I have relates to choosing a projection screen.

I just recently ordered a Sony VPL-HS20 for my first front projection system. I am now looking at Draper for the screen company. I am looking at the screen below:

92" Draper Silhouette (HDTV)

I guess the biggest question is, should I get the High Contrast Grey, or the Matte White? Most of my viewing will be at night, and the only sunlight coming in is ambient (no window in the room points directly at the sun during viewing hours). I guess I am just worried about how the picture will look on that Grey.

By the way, here is a rundown on the system (so far):
Yamaha VX-1400 (7.1)
Energy Connoisseur CC-1 Maple Silver Center Channel
Energy Connoisseur C-7 ( x 2) Maple Silver Fronts
Energy Connoisseur CR-1 ( x 4) Maple Silver Surrounds
Subwoofer is TBD still

Thanks for the help on this one :)

- Tim (first but definitely not last post)

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
You really can't go wrong with a traditional Matte White screen, it gives you a wide viewing angle, and bright glowing whites, it's a tried and true surface that will work well now and for years to come no matter which projector you may upgrade to. The HS20's contrast would be improved with the gray screen, but there is a slight tradeoff in color accuracy with a gray screen.

Either one will work fine. I chose a Matte White for my LCD projector myself.

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
As for the Z12000 projector, I would consider the BenQ 8700 or the Infocus 7200 as alternatives. They will both give excellent and comparable quality at lower prices.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I have always heard to go with matte white for LCD projectors and for DLP projectors go with a grey (Cinema Vision) type screen. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks