Projection screen paint

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Mcc, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I recently saw an ad in Menard's sale paper for silver paint for chain link fences. Has anyone tried this type of paint for your projection screen? If so, what were the results? Thanks.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

In all likelyhood the type of silver flecks in that paint are not going to be suitable for screens. You need very fine grained silver not large micca flakes otherwise you'll get hot spotting. If silvers what you're looking to do what you need is Behr Silver Metalic that Home Depot sells in a small plastic container that's slightly larger then a coke can. You'll find it in a cardboard display with other faux finishes. You'll also want to pick up some glaze and some pure white paint to blend together as painting pure silver is not easy nor desireable (hotspotting). Follow these instructions and you'll end up with a very nice screen.

1. Paint the screen with a pure white paint.

2. Paint the screen with a top coat of the following mix.

50% Behr Silver Metalic
    40% Glaze
    10% Behr pure white

As for tips what worked for me was to keep working a wet edge. By that I mean you don't need to apply a lot of paint with each pass so roll out the paint on your tray before applying it to the screen then keep rolling over the area you left off on and slowly work your way around the screen so that you are keeping a wet edge...doing that should allow you to avoid roller marks. Other then that take your time and it'll take a few coats to get a nice even finish. Basically painting pure silver is a pain in the arshe but adding the white really helps to make it easier. Spraying is likely best but it can be done with a roller if you take your time and the results are amazing. As I said the only screen sample I have that I think beats my DDog screen enough to consider buying is firehawk and unless I win the lottery that isn't going to happen

3. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

MississippiMan here,

Everything depends on your PJ and your viewing criteria.

DLP / LCD / CRT ?
    Total Light Control?

Provide details and enlightenment shall follow.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Hey MississippiMan welcome to the forum[​IMG]

5. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

Well thank you, Andrew! I hope I can offer some assistance to those who need guidance and a sense of a true direction in which to head.

Any who wants to see some photo examples of how good a DIY screen can produce stunning imagery just add the "http" in front of the : on the partial link below and visit my Gallery over on AVS

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...0&ppuser=50111

There are several great DIY painted screen applications that have been developed recently, and with various degrees of cost, difficulty, and end results.

From "Hey, this works pretty good." to "OhMyGawd!" results, there is something available for just about any level of skill and involvement (re: Work Ethic )and expenditure. But at least one thing is common with them all. All of 'em are oodles less expensive that virtually any MFg screen, and deliver as good, or better results.

....and that's a good thing.[​IMG]

MississippiMan

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The firehawk has the advantage over the other screens in that it has better white levels while at the same time not making the whites appear dull like greyhawk does. The paint forumla I posted above gives me a screen that has black levels about equal to the greyhawk and whites that sit between greyhawk and firehawk..which is to say that the firehawk has slightly brighter whites then my screen but not enough to justify the considerable cost of upgrading. I also have a sample of the Vutech SilverStar screen with its hugh gain and its impressive to see but I'm not sure its the screen for me given just how bright it is...that and its even more $$$ [​IMG] If you're curious just email the various companies and request a sample, Dalite sends there's on a 8.5" * 11" cardboard where Stewart sends much larger samples...the SilverStar comes as a mini screen since its a hardboard material not cloth.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Right on all accounts from my experience.

9. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

Try a Light Fusion.

(not to be confused with a Lite beer...)

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  11. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Hi Guys,

I thought I'd join in casue I've got a few questions of my own. Just yesterday I got a Sanyo Z2. it is my first projector and I am very happy with it. Now I need to build a screen and I've been trying to get through the millions of avsforums.

I think I'll go with blackout cloth but I still might try something else.

Anyway, Mississppi Man, I was at the Canuck shootout a couple of months ago and I was very impressed with your screens, but I had to leave early and I never got a chance to talk to you. So is the paint mixture that you might recommend for my projector (i have light control, but it might also be nice to have a little light in the room from time to time)

Thanks,
    Chris

12. Chris Dias

Chris
    PS, Neil I sent you an email the other day. I would love to check out your screen sometime. That was the other option that I was alluding to in my last post.

Chris

13. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

Chris,

When made correctly, Light Fusion has enough gain (approx 1.8) to be exceptionally viewable in ordinary lamplight.
    I've got some excellent pic available to illustrate that.

LF was originally designed to assist less expensive, low lumen PJs like the panny 300, Z1, X1, etc. in providing a BIG, BRIGHT, sharp image with much improved contrast, while attenuating SDE, artifacts, and pixelation. All of which plauge low end PJs. Hey, it impoved Color rendition too!

The Z2 came on board and just ate up the Light Fusion's offering. DLPs of 1000 or more Lumens and 1700:1+ CRs just look all the more smoother AND brighter. Amazingly, you can even hit a LF with a SE-20HD LCD's 2200 Lumens plus, and still get all the benefits, but no Hot Spotting.

And if simple is all you really want, just painting a wall with MMud will do you mighty awlrighty.

Here's the basic formula.

Prime ingrediants are:

1- 4' x 8' x 1/8" Acrylic Plastic Mirror (5' x 8' is even better! 110" diagonal @ 16:9 !) $96.00

3 Quart MississippiMud mix consisting of;

Home Depot "Behr" paints
    1 Quart Behr Ultra Pure White Exterior Latex $9.99
    1 Quart Behr "Deep Base" 1300 $9.99
    1 Quart Behr "White Opal Pearlescence" (Faux Paint Shelf)$17.99

Roller outfit, or preferably, a HVLP Spray outfit. Some have had the local Body Shop squirt their screens for them for an average of $40.00.

Rolled or Sprayed, 3 coats of MMud is the norm.

Post or Email me for info or additional links.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Can you add Floetrol to that mixture for the purpose of spraying?

15. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

I tried that at first, primarily because my initial screens were all sprayed in Mid-winter, and the MMud was coming to the job in a very "gooey-like" like state(...the reason it was hence named "Mud". Some wiseacre tossed in the "mississippi" handle and the rest is Infamy..., er, History I mean.)

I found that the Flotrol actually enhanced the effects of the white pigment (not as good a thing as it sounds!) and retarded drying times. Heating it up the MMud prior to spraying worked fine, but was not always practical. And as far as the flotrol, it cost a bunch too. Too many negetives, I decided.

I discovered that you can mix Distilled Water to a Latex, to a point, and it thins the mix for spraying quite well. Now, I mix a minimum of 8 OZ, sometimes 10 Oz into a 3 quart MMud Mix at the Depot, at the time of the initial mixing by Shaker machine. It's a good idea to purchase a Paint Turbine. It's a little "Water wheel" like device you attach to your Drill and it stirs paint like crazy. Much better than the old "two paddle" Paint Whisks.

This thinning allows the use of a 1.6 MM nozzel instead of the necessity of getting a 2.2 MM one. Such a large nozzel doesn't squirt a thin paint well, and expells thicker paints in splatters if not set up perfectly.

I ain't perfect, so I mix Distilled water with my mix every time.

Guess I coulda said that back in the first paragraph, but then I wouldna had as much fun.

16. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    M Man:

Thanks for all your tips, etc. with DIY screens. Feel free to post images in our gallery with screen shots, etc. anytime here.

Parker

17. Chris Dias

Chris
    Mississippi Man,

Thanks for the formula, I think I'll try it out but I have a few questions if you don't mind. At the Canuck shootout, I seem to recall you haveing two screens there and they both looked sort of grayish. Were they the same formula as above? Where does the gray come from with those white paints?

And where do I get the Acrylic mirror? This may sound like a stupid question, but is it an actual mirror? and if so, how does it work? Does some of the light still pass through the paint to be reflected off the mirror? A quick google search shows that they come in different colours, so what colour should I use?

Have you ever tried using that formula on Blackout cloth?

I kknow these are a lot of questions, but the one thing I came away from that shootout sure of was that your much much cheaper screens looked just as good to my eyes as the very expensive ones that were there.

Thanks,
    Chris

18. Maurice B

Maurice B Extra

>>