What's new

Projection screen burn-in: Myth or Reality??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
I am buying a 53" SONY HDTV bigscreen tv tomorrow. I have heard conflicting stories about whether it's a danger to play videogames on a projection tv. One salesman at BEST BUY told me, "man, don't worry. Nothing will happen." Another told me, "it's not a good idea. You will burn static images onto your tv."

I want to hear from those of you who've played OFTEN on a projection tv. Am I in danger of burning things into the screen, or should I go about it with no worries?

Your thoughts please...

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Static images will burn in if you are not careful.Lowering contrast and brightness will reduce the risk.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Isn't there also a timeframe involved? IE, only play for 30 minutes if static images are involved?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I've played for 12 hours straight on an RPTV with no burn-in, but my set was ISF calibrated. Not sure if you're planning on calibrating your TV with Avia or VE, but it's a good idea to do that anyway. If not, at least jack down the contrast and be careful of static images (health bars, speedometers, etc.)

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
No burn-in on my set thus far, and I spent ~18 hrs on Max Payne last week alone. I've calibrated my set on the Xbox inputs with AVIA. In fact I picked up the dvd kit for this purpose only. The current gen games seem to be designed with rptv's in mind as well. High contrast, static images are not common in my experience thus far. I'd be a bit more concerned with an old NES or such. During marathon sessions I take ~ 15 min break every hour or so and turn off the set while I stretch my legs.

So, is it a concern? Yes, but you're as likely to get burn in from a station logo bug as you are from a game, if you are careful.

Calibrate your set, or at least turn the contrast and brightness down. If you calibrate your dvd input with AVIA or V.E., matching these levels on your game input should be pretty close to where you want to be.

Stick with the current gen game consoles.

Give your set, and yourself, an occasional break during marathon sessions.

T

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've had my Sony 57" XBR for 16 months now and I've not had a problem. I did calibrate with Avia and I use the "GAME" model which I've been told will actually move the image to help prevent screen burn. Truth or fiction I don't know, but my TV's been good to me.

I have see screens that have been burned in, usually it's static channel stuff like the station logo's.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
At Epcot Center's "Ultimate Home Theater" (scoff) demo, they have Sony WEGA sets (non-projection) that have burn in on them, because of the logo they display. So, it's not just a projection set that is succeptible to burn-in.

Also, today's games typically have less static on-screen images, such as a "score" or the like - like the older games used to.

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. What is the "GAME" mode you speak of, that shifts the screen slightly? Is that something that only came with your SONY XBR, or is it something you purchase to add on to the TV?

I will likely buy the AVIA DVD, to help with the callibration. Of course, I want to get the best picture possible. The other option is to get a technician out to do it himself, but I imagine that will be rather expensive.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
The other option is to get a technician out to do it himself, but I imagine that will be rather expensive.
It cost me about $400 to get my set tuned by an ISF calibrationist. Worth every single penny, but you're right, it can be pricey. You can get good results with the Avia disc; I've adjusted several of my friends' sets with it and they are usually quite pleased with the changes.

Good luck, Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks