What's new

Projection or HDTV? (1 Viewer)

I think this question would go here as I'am currently getting an equipment list as my first "dedicated" HT will be finished soon. I just have one question. I really wanted to go with a 65' Toshiba HDTV, but I wonder if projection would be better? The HT makes it a little difficult...it's on the 3rd floor of my house! I looked at the dimensions and it's okay to get it up, but the weight....400+PDS! I'am sure I can get some big guys to get it up there, but I ran into another issue. The room is pretty big...about 25x20. I wanted to go with the HDTV for the excellent visual quality, but I could also get a projection setup instead. It would be easier to get installed, but how is picture quality? Would a 65' HDTV be a better choice in a bigger room with 2-3 row seating? Or is this where projections MUCH bigger screen size really have a huge advantage?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Front projection most definitely: best bang vs. buck. Even look at doing a full blown 2.40:1 screen by using something like the ISCO II anamorphic lens and one of the 16x9 fixed panel DLP or LCD projectors.
For the money the Sharp 9000 720p, HDTV 16x9 DLP projector looks quite good, but lacks some very important features (see below):
You might want to hold on to your money until a digital, 16x9 HDTV projector with DVI and FireWire digital video inputs and 5C/HDCP copy protection support is created. Probably next year. You're future ability to watch full rez. HDTV programming on it may depend on that decision if the MPAA gets their wish.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Irv Kelman

Grip
I choose a JVC D-ILA projector. HDTV is amazing. Add a good scaler and DVD's look nearly as good.
------------------
Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You do not need to choose between HDTV and Front Projection (which is the only real way to go if you want a full "theatrical" experience.)
I have a Sony VW10HT projector which is a native 16x9 unit and is fully HDTV compatible. I'm using it in conjunction with my Dish Network 6000 and the HDTV picture is magnificent. And now that this projector can be had for about $4500 this is a no-brainer. I've looked at everything out there and, as far as I'm concerned, there is no better unit when considering price:performance.
(I was going to update my HT web site this past week to reflect the addition of an HDTV source in my HT but the recent tragic events have occupied my time completely. And now I'm heading out to the HTF L.A. meet so any updates will have to wait for at least a month or so.)
In the meantime, here's an actual, unretouched screen shot taken from the Dish Network HDTV demo loop projected on my 110" 16:9 screen by the VW10HT. The digital camera actually does not do justice to the in-person image because I'm capturing a moving image and the camera tends a bit toward the green spectrum. In other words, it actually looks better than this.
Link Removed
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
RAF, like I always said, please send over that projector and screen to me whenever you want to upgrade again in the future.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Thanks for the suggestion on the Sony unit. I've never had much experience with projectors. I plan on putting the unit on the ceiling about 10-15FT from the screen. Would that be any problem? How hard is it to align the unit to the screen to get a good picture? What kind of inputs does the unit have? I need component and svideo. Sorry for the amount of questions but it is quite an investment and I'd rather sound dumb instead of buying something I have no clue about :) Also what kind of screen do you recommend? I'am looking for one that I can "roll" up. Where can you order these? Any other components that I need in conjunction with the unit? I currently have DirecTV but once I finish the HT room it will only have digital cable so HDTV isn't at the TOP of my list, I just want the best possible picture for DVD's. As far as the 65' Toshiba HDTV, I'am going to look at one in person later today. I'am not sure if it will be big enough for a HT because the HT room is pretty big and with a 16x9 ratio it may be too small for it. Plus hauling a $3000+ HDTV that is 6x6 and weighs 400+ pounds would be a challenge getting it up to the 3rd flooor. I'am going all out (at a reasonable cost) for the HT and projection just seems to be a smart albeit more expensive option.

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Blake,
I wouldn't worry about getting the TV up 3 flights. Most places will install it for you (especially when they are that large) so if they break it they pay for it. Leave it up to them to do.
------------------
Link Removed

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Blake,
Here some links to Sony 10HT FAQs that might help with your questions about this projector. These links contain loads of interesting and useful info relating to all aspects of the product.
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/vw10ht_faq.shtml
http://home.t-online.de/home/finzel/vw10_e.htm
http://www.munsil.com/VW10HTFaq.htm
You could also check out the Projectors forum on Home Theater Forum, and/or the 10HT board on the following site:
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum= DCForumID27&conf=DCConfID1
and try this one as there is lots of general projector information on it:
www.avsforum.com
Good luck!
------------------
Scott
[Edited last by Scott-C on September 17, 2001 at 08:07 PM]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Blake,
You owe it to yourself to take a serious look at the VW10HT as it appears to fit your needs exactly and, believe me, you aren't going to be able to get a better picture at the price.
To answer a couple of your questions: I have my unit on the ceiling at 13.3 feet from my 110" diagonal 16:9 screen. No problem at all setting it up. In fact, the Sony is one of the easiest units to install (and at 17 lbs. it's not a problem in this area either.)
Inputs? You want inputs? How about composite (for LD since the internal 3D Comb Filter in the projector is outstanding), S-Video and TWO sets of component inputs (actually, each set is five leads so you can use component, or RGB or anything else you want in the "component" family.)
I'm heading out early tomorrow morning to drive to the HTF L.A. meet so I'm not sure how accessable the Internet will be to me until the weekend. But all the great resources cited here should be able to point you in the right direction.
Good luck.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Robert, all I can say is WOW, I am definitely going to bypass the rear projection TV and get a front projection unit. Hopefully by the time I'm hoping to buy around june next year the front projection units will have dropped even lower.
Aaron

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yet, don't ignore the DVI and Firewire digital video inputs. Most projectors now don't have them. You will, unfortunately, need them in the future.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Anthony GT

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, a thread that addresses my question!
I'm planning my theater now. My basement is split in the middle by the staircase. The half that will have the HT is 15'x30' with an 8' ceiling. I will be putting a pool table in the back of the room and I estimate the first row of seats will be 13' from the sreen.
My question is is the same as Blake's, should I go with a 65" projection TV or will a projector be better? I'd prefer the projector but how big of a screen will I be able to use?
I will also be using it for regular TV watching, mainly sports, but I only have regular cable right now. Will that be unwatchable? Will I need to add satellite?
Thanks!
Anthony

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With all due respect, if you're planning a Home Theater, then there is no substitute for a front projector for the total experience, no matter which type of FP you choose.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

SteveDinn

Auditioning
I have the (smaller) 40" sibling to the Toshiba 65H80. I found cable T.V., even digital cable, pretty much unwatchable. DVDs look great of course, but regular television I had to watch on my old set.
It's disappointing in a way, when your TV is good enough to reveal limitations in the broadcast signal :)
My question is is the same as Blake's, should I go with a 65" projection TV or will a projector be better? I'd prefer the projector but how big of a screen will I be able to use?
I will also be using it for regular TV watching, mainly sports, but I only have regular cable right now. Will that be unwatchable? Will I need to add satellite?

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Steve/Blake--I'm set on a new LCD front projector like the Sony 10HT (11HT breaks the bank)....My question is the same: will broadcast cable signal be unwatchable or do most projectors have a built in line-doubler that is worth anything?? anyone?
Thanks,
Brett
------------------

David Lange

Auditioning
There are definitely good arguments for a front projector, but I selected and really have enjoyed the Toshiba TW65H80 as shown in my HT pix. I built it into the front wall to give the "plasma screen" look, and the blacks are deep even with room light up --this is a key issue that you will compromise when moving to a front projector.
See my Toshiba: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28723.html
...and follow the link for construction pix.
David

Ken Arnold

Agent
Real Name
Ken Arnold
I agree with the arguments for FP, especially if formats change and you only need to get a different decoder box. My situation lends itself better to RP though, and I ordered the new Toshiba 65HX81. Anyone considering RP should check this unit out. I compared it to hitachi, Toshiba's own 65H81 and Pioneer/Pioneer Elite. It was clearly better than the 65H81 (not surprising as it has 6 lenses instead of 5), smoked the Hitachi, had an edge on the Pioneer and rivalved the elite. It doesn't weigh 400lbs. either! (like the older one) specs are:
Unit Dimensions:
H: 61
W: 59 1/2
D: 28 3/8
Unit Weight: 278 lbs
These units are built in Tenessee, burned in for 72 hours then color calibrated by a technician before shipping. The skin tones reflected this - they were perfect. Oh, yeah, the unit I demo'd...I watched them take it off the truck, uncrate it and just turn it on!!! I'm sure with proper calibration it would have blown me away.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Man,
I'd go Projector..
There's nothing more enhancing to the HT experiance then a nice projector and a huge screen...
It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry :)
Like I tell alot of people, if your looking for a good projector at a great price, try www.ebay.com
--Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com
[Edited last by NathanP on September 25, 2001 at 04:29 PM]

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan, could you please be more specific regarding Ebay and front projectors.
I could not find them, probably not using the right search word.
Thanks, Brett
------------------

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Note that the Sony store has the 10HT and the 11Ht for exactly the same price here in T.O. when I checked them.
RAF is right about the theatrical experience. I find you just cannot duplicate that on rear projection or direct view, no matter how much you spend.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks