Projection LCD TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Harse, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Rich Harse

Rich Harse Auditioning

I am considering buying a new TV. I've looked around and am not too impressed with RPTVs (too big, picture does seem fuzzy to me). I'm not too keen on a regular crt (like the toshiba 34hdx82 or sony kv 40xbr800) since they weigh so much and are big in the back. So I saw the Panasonic PT-40LC12 and PT-45LC12 and really liked these sets. The picture was clear (close to plasma), size and weight more acceptable. The only drawback I see is that the blacks are not as black (I understand this to be applicable to LCD-type screens). When I visit stores like Circuit City and BestBuy (which carry the models), they like it and explain the virtues. Stores like Tweeter (which does not carry it) stated it's no good and I should go with a HDTV-ready CRT TV.

Thoughts?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I do not have a RPTV although I have seen many demos including the Sony Grand Wega (LCD) and some CRT's. It seems like there is definitely a trade off. CRT's I have seen yield deeper blacks than the Grand Wega I saw. Mind you, it probably was not calibtrated properly either which would make a difference. What sources will you be using? DVD, Hdef stuff?

3. Rich Harse

Rich Harse Auditioning

Neil, Thanks for the reply.
    I will be using DVDs and cable TV. Right now I don't have digital cable (not offered where I live yet) but I am looking into DirecTV with the 18x24 dish and LNB for HDTV signals from the appropriate satellite. I definitely want to buy a TV that will "grow" with me but I am wary of spending lots of dollars on something like plasma.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For some reason, I can't see myself spending cdn$15k on a plasma setup either. For that money, I would get a cheap TV and use the rest on a nice 16x9 FPTV setup.

5. Rich Harse

Rich Harse Auditioning

Thanks. I looked again last night and think I will hold off on the RP(LCD)TV. I've been reading about the "black not black enough" issues, the issues with loud fans (although you can't really tell in the store), bad pixel issue, and yes, price. I can order the TV on line for a lot less that store prices ($2650 vs $3500) but am not sure I can trust return policies or service arrangements. I think I'm back to the drawing board. I'll keep reading these boards.

6. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, there is no comparision between the CRT and the LCD. The LCD are way better in every aspect except it is not quiet as dark in the black. Even this is way overstated in my opinion. If it is calibrated right you don't even notice it. If you're willing to spend a little bit more you should look at some DLP screens. They are much improved over the LCD, but cheaper than plasma's. Panasonic makes a very good DLP as does Samsung.

Good Luck,
    Brandon