What's new

Projection LCD owners - childproofing screen (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
I'm seriously considering a 50-60" LCD projection tv for our family room viewing. Looking at the Sony Grand Wega's in particular. One thing I'm concerned with is the fingerprints, food smudges and the possible inadverdent plastic toy damaging the screen. My 3 young children are warned to not touch the TV but with the younger one (1 1/2) especially I can't expect them to always comply. We have a traditional 32" direct-view now and the glass holds up well to typical toddler activity. I'm not overly worried about possible handprints, impacts etc. and the glass cleans easily.
It seems with a LCD projection unit my situation could change quite a bit. Do any of the models (I think maybe the XBR?) come with a hard durable screen? The only other solution would be to move the TV away/high enough out of reach or inside a cabinet. Any ideas appreciated! TIA.

Brendan D

Auditioning
Derek,

I purchased the 50" Grand Wega about a year ago (could not possibly recommend it more)... anyway...I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old, so I too had those concerns. As far as fingerprints, smudges etc, the 50-60" have a built in screen protector that works very well. Usually a wipe with a soft cloth is sufficient to remove any marks. Once a month or so, I'll use a water/vinegar solution to clean it. The 70" has an extra glass screen protector.

Wouldn't worry too much about that.

As far as projectiles from the little ones...that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks