Projection in True Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SteveBr, Apr 3, 2003.

1. SteveBr

SteveBr Auditioning

All,

I am a former theatre projectionist and currently work in TV, so I totally understand all about Aspect Ratios.

My Question is, has anybody attempted to do a set up with Front Projection to display 2.35:1 AR DVD's on a proper 2.35 screen. I'd like to do something similar to a Proper Cinema whereby they use curtain masking to change between 2.35:1 and 16:9 (well 1.85:1 in a cinema). So on those DVD's that actually have the 2.35:1 picture you can have the ultra wide picture in your house.

I realise that there will be a resolution loss due to the reduced scan lines, but I'd lIke to try it to see what it looks like.

Anybody had any experience with this.

Regards
    Steve Brown

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Steve,

Do a search in the CRT projector forum at www.avscience.com. Look for Vern Dias. He has done exactly what you want to do with (apparently) very good results.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Welcome to the forum Steve!

Yes people on this forum do it all the time: having masking systems to get different ratios on their projection screens. Go take a look in the HT Construction and the DIY areas of this forum! (Actually, I'm planning to have one myself in my next HT [​IMG] ).

You may also be interested in commercially available screens, like the DA-Lite Dual Masked Screen, although they stop at "letterbox" (= 1.85:1) and may not be exactly what you're looking for.

But people have used black screens, sliding panes, etc. to get the real thing, so take a look in those areas! Unfortunately, I don't have direct links for you at hand, but they aren't too difficult to find.

Good luck!

Cees

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What would you do with wider than 2.35:1 movies?

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Do theater projectors have a selection of zoom lenses so the picture height is constant for all different aspect ratios and just the width varies (and side curtains used as needed)?

Similarly for video, if you want a constant height picture, you would need external zoom lenses, or electronic zoom in the projector consisting of upscaling, or spacing out the scan lines wider.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

8. SteveBr

SteveBr Auditioning

Thanks all for the help, replies, and welcome.

I think that I would rather use the 'common height between the ratios, like in the classic cinema style. I think 2.35:1 ratio films were meant by the creator to be a Big Screen Event, if you know what I mean.

Ive checked out the leads that you have all gave me, but everyone seems to be using tube projectors to do this. Does anybody think this achievable with a DLP projector?

Thanks again
    Steve Brown

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Steve,

Yes, it will certainly be achievable with a DLP processor as well. It's not as much the projector that does the "trick" in this case, as it is the screen + masking system.
    (I have a Sony LCD projector now and I'm planning to use a DLP-projector in the near future in my HT - where I will have variable masks next to my screen.)

Cees