Projection devices? and the types of screens needed for them? 10k Budget Max.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JimmyJK, Nov 25, 2003.

1. JimmyJK

JimmyJK Agent

Hey guys!

Been browsing this great forum, gotta say I love it! Tons of great information, but sadly me being in college forbids me from enjoying most of the nicer equipment.

Here is my question:

My uncle wants to buy a projection system for his home, he has a limite of 7.5k for the projector and I have recommended the sharp 10000U to him but I dont know anything about those pull down screens they are displayed on.

Bottom line, is my recommendation of the sharp good? and what type of projection screen does he need? money for the most part is not an issue but nothing excessive please.

Thank you guys

Cheers

-Jimmy

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Sharp 10K is a very good DLP projector.

As far as screens go, a lot has to do with the projector's brightness, the projector's contrast ratio, and the amount of ambient light in the room. Finding the correct screen for a particular projector can be a balance of these 3 things. For instance, a crt projector that has a very high contrast ratio (deep blacks) but is fairly dim compared to the newer digital projectors can be paired up with a white screen that boosts the gain. If the same screen were used on an lcd projector that has a much lower contrast ratio and greater brightness then blacks would really appear gray. In this case a gray or silver screen could be used to boost the black level.

I would pair the Sharp with a nice Stewart Firehawk screen if that was within the budget.

3. JimmyJK

JimmyJK Agent

excellent thank you for the recommendation I will pass it on.

Are there that much of a difference between screens I ahve been looking thorugh ebay and the prices go anywhere from 25 dollars for material to 2k for the ones you recommended.

Im sure he could afford the ones you recommended but I also want to give his a low cost solutiong

your bost was VERY insightful and helpful but since you know Im gooing to recommend the 10000u to him what screen recommendations should I give? top3?

cheers

-Jimmy

4. JimmyJK

JimmyJK Agent

by the way DLP is worth it right for simple DVD movie watching?

5. Brian H

Brian H Extra

I looked around with a similar budget, and guess what I bought..... a Sharp 10K, and a 92" Stewart Luxus Deluxe Screenwall with the Firehawk (which came in just under $10K after getting the ceiling mount and paying the governor). What I failed to think about was how much money I would be putting into cables, a component video switch, power protection for the projector etc, so he needs to think about that.

If the 10K ends up too much all things considered, what actually sold me was a Sharp 9K on the Stewart Firehawk, and I think it was about $3K less.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Anyone in your area have a LCOS/DILA projector? You (or your uncle) should view both a DLP and a DILA before purchasing. I wouldn't trade my Dukane 9017 (JVC DLA-SX21u) for any DLP. [​IMG]

Another thing to consider is the people who have seen the Sharp 12k say it's way better than the 10k. It's out soon.