Projecting from behind the screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Smith, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

I was doing some reading on projector central, and it said that most of today's projectors are able to reverse the image so that they can be projected from behind a screen. Maybe I am misunderstanding what they are saying, but it sounds like you could actually have the projector in a different room shooting at the back of the screen whose front is in your HT. Does that work, or am I completely off base? I have never actually seen the back of a screen to see how much of the light passes through them. Would the quality of the image be roughly the same?

It seems that, if you had a setup that allowed you to do so, such a setup would be desirable because it would remove fan noise from the room and enable you to mount the projector at whatever height and distance you wanted.

2. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

You understand correctly. Also, with the rear projection setup, you can have more ambient light in the veiwing room. If I had the space available, I would do it with no hesitation.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Yes, you can do it this way, but I think a special translucent screen is used. A standard front projection screen, which is reflective, won't be adequate.

KJP

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

A lot of higher dollar installations use rear projection for exactly the reasons stated. (No fan noise, allows more ambient light.) The two main problems with it are space, and money. Rear projection screens are expensive, and a lot of people don't have the room to do it. You can use mirrors to cut down the throw, but once again you are spending a lot more money then front projection.

TimG

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Oh, yeah, you can definitely do this! I saw a high end system set up this way and it was staggering! Nothing but movie in the viewing room, and nothing but equipment in the adjoining room...and plenty of space around the components to plug things in! No worries about "hiding cables" and such!

This guy also stored his massive LP collection in the back room, away from prying eyes.

As noted, all it takes is square footage and $$$.

Jan

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You need screen elements like a RPTV, namely a Fresnel lens panel and a lenticular lens panel, each equal to the size of the screen.

Otherwise you will see a hot spot, where on the screen it is depends on where you are sitting.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Garry S

Garry S Auditioning

DaLite has several flexible screen materials that will work for rear projection that are much cheaper than the fresnel type rigid screens. They even have one that will work for front OR rear projection, called "Dual Vision"

Some light fabrics work pretty well too. You might try your local fabric store, and choose some samples to try out. Polyester fabrics with a percentage of spandex work for a rear projection screen.