Projecting a smaller video.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Steve_-_K, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Steve_-_K

Steve_-_K Auditioning

We have about 13' from seating to screen. Right now it seems to me that the Sanyo Z2 is the best option for us. A 90" screen sounds great but we're afraid it may just be too big for our area. Does anyone project a smaller image than they could for any reason? I'm thinking maybe 70" or so might be better. Am I wrong in assuming that would actually increase the quality of our image? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    Steve k

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Lots of people do. The bigger you try to get, the more faults youll see in the source and the display, as well as the dimmer the image. If you're using something like a CRT, then you drive things harder to get a very big picture. The very pick videophiles tend to have smaller screens.

3. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

I've seen earlier posts describing screen size when using a front projector...the smaller the image the better the quality is what I have heard. Even DVDs can appear as poor image quality when blown up too big.
    Never tried it myself...but it makes sense.

Good Luck.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, DVD's look like crap blown up really big if you don't do some video processing.

5. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I use a Yamaha DXP-1 on a 106"(16x9) screen. We sit 11 1/2 feet from it. It is quite comfortable on the eyes and the picture quality is nothing short of amazing. Your disatance from the screen is no problem at all. Go for the big screen.