Project Help: demagnetizing metal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Hardin, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Need a little help on my winter project.
    I am building a M.A.M.E. (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) machine and this past weekend I finally assembled all of the pieces into my cabinet (email me at andyhardin@hotmail.com for pictures if you would like, don't have anywhere to post it online).
    What I have done is taken a used 21 inch computer monitor, removed the plastic case, and mounted it into the existimg arcade monitor mounts, it was near a perfect fit! Exen thought I have removed the plastic case, there is still a smaller, metal shell around all of the interior guts. This is a good thing, keeps me from shocking and potentially *killing* myself. The exisiting monitor mount was a metal frame.
    I tested the monitor at the angle it would sit in the cabinet before assemblt just to make sure there would be no problems with the angle. It is pretty sharp, I would say between 60-75 degrees, on its back that it is sitting. Picture an arcade cabinet that you would stand over and look down into for the monitor.
    When I put it together and fired it up, I noticed color disortion at the corners of the monitor, just like you would see if you placed an unshielded speaker too close to a TV or monitor. My guess is that over its 20 years (the cabinet is dated 1981) the metal monitor mount must have picked up some sort of magnetic charge.
    So my question is what can I do to exliminate this. Is there a way to "demagnetize" the monitor mount, or should I build a sheet metal "shield" to put between the monitor mount and the monitor. If so, what type of metal should I use.
    Looking forward to any ideas you may have.

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

the computer monitor should have had a deguessing ring around the outside of the screen

if you can find a TV repair shop they might still have one and you can use it to demagnitse the mount

it is basically a big wire loop that you run AC through

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

The only way I know of to demagnetize metal is to either drop it, hit it repeatedly with a hammer, or heat it up. I don't know if that helps though.

4. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Try a bulk tape eraser (available from Radio Shack). It's probably better not to bring it too close to the monitor -- you don't want to deform the shadow mask (which might still happen even though the bulk eraser is using an AC magnetic field).

It's possible that the monitor just doesn't like being suspended at an odd angle relative to the geomagnetic field. Try its built-in deguaussing feature first -- sometimes there's a button for this, other times you just have to run the monitor through a few power cycles to make it degauss itself gradually.

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If you removed the screen bezel, was the degaussing coil in there or is it actually attached to the CRT? If the coil is in the bezel you should reinstall it on the CRT.

Run through a few degaussing cycles and you should be ok. Also, make sure there aren't any magnetic devices near the CRT--speakers, transformers, high voltage wires, etc.

KJP