What's new

Project Ego (Xbox) In Depth (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
IGN has a nice article on Project Ego Link Removed
{EDIT} You have to be an Insider to view the article at the moment.{EDIT}
Maybe I can list some highlights if anyone would like.
-Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
First up, I think I can see how the game got it's name.
This quote from Peter Molyneaux explains it:
"I'm now going to say a bold, bold claim, which you are going to throw back in my face, time and time again. And this is a stupid thing I'm going to say, and I don't know why I'm going to say it, but I'm going to say it anyway. I reckon that Project Ego is going to be the greatest role-playing game of all time. Which is insane. I could say the second greatest, I could say quite good, I could say, hmmmm it's quite nice, but I'm going to say greatest game of all time." -- P.M.
Yep, the game's got plenty of Ego. ;)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I did not read this in that IGN article, but there is a rumor that Big Blue Box is considering giving Project Ego the official name of 'Fable'.

Peter M. was pretty bold in that IGN interview, stating "I reckon that Project Ego is going to be the greatest role-playing game of all time"

I guess we'll see.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Scary thing is when a Peter M game first comes out everyone and there dog is talks about it like its the greatest thing on the planet, then in about 2 months they all realize that it sucks. But in those two months he has managed to sale enough copies of whatever and get the fundage to start his nexy masterpiece.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Molyneaux has always been the master of coming up with something new and different, something that looks stunningly shiny and nice, and controls really well. Unfortunately, the one thing he can't do is develop a difficulty or learning curve, so you end up doing this same revolutionary thing over and over and over and over and over and over...

So long before the end of the game turns up, you're bored out of your gourd. The way 'classics' like Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper are boringly easy for days and then you hit this difficulty cliff is rather bad planning as well.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've been playing Molyneux games since Populous 1st came out on the Amiga. Loved most every one of them but, for the life of me, I could NOT get into Black/White.
Just hated the Tamagotchi-like crap.
Anyhoo, I'm pretty excited about this "Project Ego". The Insider info sounded pretty tasty to me.
...but then again, I couldn't wait for Black/White either. :confused:

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Molyneux will never get my love because I will never forgive Bullfrog for canning The Indestructibles :D.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
What was The Indestructibles? It sounds very familiar but I can't recall exactly what it was.
I totally agree about the point that Molyneux's games tend to get ridiculously hard in a very short time. I remember kicking ass on Syndicate, getting my guys all borged up and getting the best weapons, having no trouble with the last few missions...until I got to the very last one and totally got my ass kicked. I think the longest I ever lasted on that level was about 30 seconds before I just gave up :)
Thankfully, though, for all the selling of the game that Molyneux has been doing, it's not actually his game. Simon and Dene Carter are the actual leaders of the project; Molyneux is just serving as an idea man/guru for them. So hopefully it'll have a lot of the strengths his games come with but without the major shortcomings :)

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping Project EGO lives up to the hype... Looks and "seems" really cool so far from previews but who knows how it will change between now and final product... Look at B&W - it was a God sim from all appearances at first with the cool creatures as kind of a side bonus and ended up a Creature Sim. Don't get me wrong I liked B&W and played it for a few months but lost interest in it eventually... Unlike some of his other games like Populous or Dungeon Keeper that I STILL PLAY :)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
The Indestructibles was a game that was going to be the first decent superhero game to make it onto the market. In specs at least the thing sounded amazing. You'd have a destroyable city, plenty of collateral damage and a healthy array of powers to choose from. IIRC there was even a special graphics system they had done up so it could imitate, say, Mr. Fantastic's elastic abilities if a player so chose.
But, for some reason, this project just collapsed in upon itself and got cancelled in favor of more God games. So, we'll never know just how excellent or bad the concept could have turned out, and now everybody who wanted a superhero game is going to go to Freedom Force. Not that that's a bad idea, since Irrational Games deserves way more attention than THEY get ;).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, while I've not yet got the demo (been too busy with moving house, preparing to get married and playing on my new PS2), everything I've heard about Irrational's game sounds like what I imagined Bullfrog wanted to do.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Iain, if you're preparing to get married rather than play video games, I think you have your priorities seriously off kilter :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks