Proj. Greenlight - Mockumentary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

May 15, 2001
    NEW YORK, March 18 (UPI) -- Nice-guy actors Kevin Pollak and Aidan Quinn are blasting
    HBO, calling its "Project Greenlight" series a fabricated and manipulative “mockumentary,”
    designed to show tension that did not really exist on the set of their new film, "Stolen
    “(HBO) created drama and built a case with editing," said Pollak, best known for
    his roles in "The Usual Suspects," "A Few Good Men," and "Avalon" in which he again
    co-starred with Quinn.
    "They made Aidan out to be Richard III and they used something I said that was so
    out of context that I was floored. I could not believe it. ... They succeeded wildly
    in creating an unbelievably entertaining show and they raised the profile of the movie
    and (director) Pete Jones, who, I think, is a wonderful story teller. And I love that
    Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are giving back to the writing community. All of that is
    fantastic, so if the series raises the awareness of all that, then it outweighs the
    negative and my little personal concerns don't rule the day. Quite frankly, I know
    not to ever do this again to myself."
  2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jul 24, 2000
    Just by watching the series, it was obvious that they edited it to only show the tense and difficult moments on the set (they only showed footage from about 3 or 4 days out of 25).

I had hoped for a less sensationalistic show documenting the filmmaking process, so I would have been happy with less drama, but in the end I don't have a problem with it, because it made for a good show. Also, they couldn't show too much without spoiling the movie.

Of course, they got a lot of publicity this way, which i think will help the movie more than it will hurt it.

I can understand that the participants feel disappointed though, since they obviously had a different overall experience than what the show portrayed.

Maybe the next time they will show more about the actual filmmaking than about the little arguments on the set.