Progressive, which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Jin, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I like to get a progressive player, but I'm not too sure what to look for or which brands to consider. I have a Panny47 and a Panny nonprogressive player. Will I notice a big difference going to a progressive player? My budget is about $200.

Thanks.

2. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

im kind of in the same boat tim, im trying to decide between the Panasonic RP62 ($110-150) or the Sony NS715 ($150)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tim: Can your display handle progressively scanned signals? JB

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I think, I hope so. Its a HDTV, pt47wx42. I am looking at the Panasonic 5 disc changer, DVD-CP67K.

Any thoughts?

5. Scott*CB

Scott*CB Extra

I have enjoyed my Toshiba 3109 for 3 years and it's going strong. I just bought a 3805 for my dad. Toshiba seems to have a very good combination of features/design/build quality for an affordable unit. I have also been very pleased with the picture on my Non-prog. player.

The pannys also seem to be very popular here.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

My question is, will I notice a difference going to a progressive player???

Thanks.

7. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I've owned the Panny PT-53WX42 before with a DVD player capable of switching between interlaced and progressive modes on the fly. The difference was quite substantial as the Panny models do not have very good built in line doublers. The difference might not seem like night and day to some people but if you have the eye for it, you can spot the differences (less stairstepping, better color, smoother edges).

Vanns.com has the JVC XV-SA600BK for $175 shipped. This player puts out a very nice picture, has a good set of aspect ratio controls, and handles layer changes quickly.

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Which player do you have? Are you using component out or s-video?

9. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Tim,

Progressive scan only works through the component outputs. S-video only passes an interlaced signal so you'll have to pick up a set of component. I have the above mentioned JVC player for the time being.

10. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Thanks Peter for the tip. I just want to see what can the tv actually display with the right setup.

11. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

12. JoeEPTCB

JoeEPTCB Auditioning

I'm going to throw in the Tosh 4800 ($150) at Sears...very warm cinema look to it if you like that versus the sharpness of a Pana...it's DVD-A and has a great 4 step zoom feature.

13. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a panasonic CP72 from crutchfield for under $200 bucks shipped. This player has great reviews and I would check it out if I were you.

14. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Personally on my TV Toshiba 36HFX71 when i went from interlaced on the RP-91 ro Progressive i never noticed much of a difference, but then my set is smaller, and in my opinion has an amazing line doubler. So personally I am waiting to upgrade my DVD player till i can get a universal one and I am quite happy using my PS2 as a dvd player. (the RP-91 was borrowed forma friend)