Progressive vs Interlaced

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin_Spradley, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine just purchsed a SONY DVP NS725P DVD player. This player has progressive outputs and he also owns a SONY KV-36FV15, which I believe has interlaced inputs. I can not find any information on the result of connecting these together. I have not done an exhaustive search.

Questions: Can the DVD player be configured for interlaced or will the TV do a converson from 480p to 480i?

Any other information offered will be helpful!!!!!!!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Almost all Progressive Scan DVD players have a Interlace/Progressive option. This is sometimes a toggle switch on the back of the unit, sometimes it's a menu item in the player setup, sometimes a button on the remote.

No, I dont know of any television that will take a progressive signal and convert it to 480 interlace.

3. John S

John S Producer

The TV's usually go the other way around.

In other words they usually take 480i and make it 480p for display.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just hook this player up to the interlaced set's component-video input. The default on the 725 is interlaced. You select progressive scan manually by pressing a small silver-colored button on the front panel. (I hooked up a friend's 725 to an interlaced-only Panasonic direct-view set that I gave him. No problem.)

5. Peter_D

Peter_D Agent

Which would you want to use progessive or interlaced ? i have a HD tv and have my dvd player set to progressive. Should i have it set to interlaced ?

6. John S

John S Producer

If setting it for progressive doesn't work, setting it to 480i will. If you get picture, by all means use 480p from the player via the component video cables.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A progressive-scan player's prog-scan output works only with a set that displays a prog-scan image. If you send the 480p-capable display an interlaced signal, it will line-double it into 480p. However, a prog-scan player's own scaling/doubling works better than the display's (generally speaking). If you feed an interlaced-only set (480i) a prog-scan signal, you'll only get video noise and garbage. The two are incompatible. (All this information is in the player's instruction manual.)

8. Peter_D

Peter_D Agent

Thanks