Progressive scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Mar 14, 2002
    I was wondering where I could find out more information about progressive scanning. Both my DVD player and TV support it.
  2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    I will move this post to Audio/Video Sources and you will surely find out what you need in that area of the forum.
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Since both your DVD player and TV are progressive scan, as you said, all you need to do is follow the instructions for progressive scan hookup (uses the triple component video cable set). Note that on some TV sets there is a separate cluster of input jacks for progressive scan versus regular (interlaced) scan video. Also on some progressive scan DVD players there is a switch in back to tell whether you want progressive scan or not. (S-video does not change to progressive scan when you flip the switch.)
    During progressive scan the TV paints the scan lines twice as fast, and on every top to bottom pass, all scan lines, not just the odd lines one time and just the even lines the next time. The picture appears much smoother. Another word for progressive scan: non-interlaced.
    Most progressive scan TV sets scan the picture tube as progressive scan even when you feed in an interlaced video signal. A circuit called a line doubler or (for the better quality circuits) a de-interlacer converts incoming interlaced video into progressive scan. So when you compare progressive vs. interlaced coming out of the DVD player into the same TV, usually you are comparing the quality of the DVD de-interlacer with the TV de-interlacer (and other idiosyncrasies such as fewer analog to digital conversions giving better quality all other things being equal when the DVD player outputs progressive).
    Video hints: