1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive scan??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Austin, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Jake Austin

Jake Austin Auditioning

A salesman at Tweeter told me that there is no point in getting a progressive scan dvd player unless I have a Hi-def T.V. Is this true, or will I notice a difference in picture quality even on my Panasonic 27" with 3-line digital filter. I will be using the component video cables, BTW.
    ------------------
    www.eurospeedltd.com

2. Roger W

Roger W Auditioning

Progressive scan DVD players can usually display 4:3 content in 480p format but the progressive mode is generally optimized for 16:9 aspect ratio diplays and, yes, most 16:9 widescreens are also HDTVs. But there are so many sets out there that your Panasonic may be capable of progressive 4:3 display (like a computer monitor). You would have to consult the manual or contact Panasonic to make sure, and if it isn't a progressive capable display you'll spend 50% less on a DVD player without the progressive scan function (actually progressive scan video doesn't look much better than interlaced on my Pioneer HDTV set).

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Sorry to disagree, but progressive display has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the TV, 16:9 or otherwise.
    That said, the chances of your Panasonic 27" 4:3 TV being capable of progressive display is pretty slim. As Roger sai, you'll need to consult your TV owner's manual.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Welcome to the forum Jake! Progressive scan only works on digital TV's. They have to be able to display 480 P bare minimum. Loewe sold sets last year that were not hi-def capable but limited to 480 P. We'll proably see more such sets...? They'll be improved definition sets but not full-blown HD sets.
    On your analog TV you'd have no use for progressive scanning. You'd have to set the player to interlaced output. I know your TV is analog because the smallest digital set Panasonic makes is 32". However, if you think you'll aqquire a digital set in the lifespan of the DVD player, get one that has progressive output. I bought a JVC 723 progressive player before I had a digital set. I used it interlaced till I got my first HD monitor fairly recently. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

5. Jake Austin

Jake Austin Auditioning

sweet, thanks for the quick replies. Well, I don't plan on upgrading my T.V. anytime soon, so I'll prolly just pick up a set of component cables and use my existing Kenwood DVD player.
    ------------------
    www.eurospeedltd.com