What's new

Progressive Scan??? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I went into my local BB today, & I decided to look at some DVD players. For once, I actually had a question or 2, but after getting waylaid by an employee with the 4-year service plan, I decided that I'd be better off asking here.
Anyways, I have two simple questions...this post is the 1st! ( I'll do another post for the second.)
My simple question is:
What does progressive scan mean? Is it standard on all DVD players? ( It doesn't seem like it is, because I couldn't find any info from my DVD instructions) What are the benefits from having pro.scan & would it be worth upgrading from what I have?
BTW, I own a cheap Samsung DVD-739 (but hey, it was free...) & a Playstation 2 (which I use as a backup)
Any help would be nice and appreciated :)
Calvin
------------------
"Don't make me angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......"

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Eugene's link may have more technical detail than you want -- though it's hard to answer your question without a fairly detailed explanation of how film is translated to video. Try this link for an explanation better geared to the beginner. The section on progressive scan is near the end, but you'll need everything that leads up to it to understand it.
The bottom line is that progressive scan is well worth having if you have a monitor that can display it. If your set isn't HDTV-capable, chances are that progressive scan won't do you any good.
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think you meant DTV capable which would handle the 480P output of a progressive DVD player.
No, I meant it exactly the way I said it. There are relatively few DTV-capable sets that aren't also HDTV-capable. So if it isn't the latter, "chances are" it isn't the former either.
I simply wanted to point out to Calvin that not just any TV can handle progressive scan. We can deal with the fine points another time.
M.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help,guys. Now I have a better understanding on how this works. It seems to me that in my current setup, having a progressive scan player wouldn't help out all that much...but it wouldn't hurt either...and I could always upgrade my TV later :)
Thanks Again!
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... If already have two DVD players, I'd save up and upgrade your TV first (depending on the brand model).
In general, an average DVD player with a higher end TV will give a MUCH better picture than a top-end DVD player and an average TV.
Of course, a top-end DVD and top-end TV is always better.
wink.gif

------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks