What's new

Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon what may appear to be a "dumb" question here, but......in order to use the progressive scan function of a DVD player, does the TV also have to be capable of that function?

P.S. Everything is hooked up correctly according to the DVD recorder's instructions (i.e. I have component video hookups)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yes, the TV would have to be able to display a progressive image. I would think a TV that had component inputs would be capable of progressive scan, but I'm not certain.

Three obvious questions:

1. What is the make and model of the TV?

2. What does the TV manual or manufacturer's website have to say about the issue?

3. What makes you think you aren't getting a progrssive image or is making you wonder?

Regards,

Joe

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
It's a very temporary TV (Phillips 20" with component video inputs, S-VIDEO and composite inputs). There's not mention of progressive scan or 3:2 Pulldown in the manual.

The DVD's manual says "press progressive on the remote during pause" with absolutely no mention that the TV has to be capable of that function.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Walt

My brother-in-law was having the same problem as you and could not get the progressive signal to the TV. We went into the DVD players menu and went through the display options of the player. On his DVD player (RCA I think) you had to select the component out for it to send the signal to the TV through component.

Other wise it would send the signal via composite and S-video not component.

Once we selected the component out then viola instant picture:D Once you do this if your TV doesn't support progressive then you will see the icon from the DVD player that this is not supported.

Hope this helps!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Yes, your TV has to be capable of progressive input.
Don't try it unless you are sure the TV can display progressive because the DVD player has no way of knowing what kind of TV is connected to the progressive jacks (only HDMI or DVI connections can do that). You will send a signal at twice the normal horizontal frequency and there is a slight possibility that the TV could be damaged. If the TV cannot display the picture then you will need a method of switching back that does not require seeing the menu. The owners manual should have the information.

A 20" TV is not likely to have progressive inputs. Even if it did, you might not want to use the feature. Since the video must be de-interlaced, the quality of the processor comes into play. Most TVs have better deinterlacers that DVD players in the $40 - $150 range. You have to get into high end and upscaling players to get good deinterlacing and scaling.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This is not so, as the TV does not communicate with the DVD player. If the TV cannot display or sync to a 480p signal, it won't display at all/won't display properly, etc.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Component output is selected in the DVD menu.

Before this post, when I would try to get the progressive picture, my TV would display a signal like that of a scrambled pay station. (You know how the picture looks when you try to view a cable Premium Channel which you have not subscribed to).

P.S. I have no problem switching back and forth between the scrambled progressive picture and normal output.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris

I have an old 480i zenith hooked up to a cheepie progressive scan DVD player and when I hit the "progressive scan button" it give me the "stop hand signal" that is what I was using for my frame of reference....obviously not all are the same. Wasn't trying to confuse in fact trying to do just the opposite:b

Hey can't blame me for tying to help.

I agree with this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks