1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by GabeP, Dec 29, 2004.

1. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

we have a nice hdtv, and an ok prog scan dvd player. do we have to set the dvd player to play on prgressive scan?
    If so, I can't find any place where to set dvd player controls.

2. Asa_M

Asa_M Auditioning

use component video cables

check the setup menu or look for a physical swith on the back of the unit to turn on prog scan

alot of the dvd players have a corny blue light that comes on when it's running in prog scan mode

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

What kind of TV do you have? A lot of HDTVs will automatically upscale a non progressive scan picture to progressive scan on their own provided you use the component input. Otherwise, what Asa said would work.

4. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

Sony XBR LCD RPTV

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

In that case, I do believe your TV will do the progressive scan for you over the component connections regardless of the setting your DVD player is set to.

6. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

well, I just bought component cables for the tv down here, sharp, and i switched it to prg scan in the back, but on the lcd, there is a little slot for prog to light up, and it doesn't. Is that for prog scan? and should it light up?

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Actually I think the Sony TV you have will do progressive scan on its own. The TV will take a 480i picture, via component, and upscale it to 480p from a non progressive DVD player. Turn progressive scan off on the player and I bet the progressive scan light on the TV will come on. I think it isn't lighting because the player is doing the progressive scan so the TV doesn't have to.[​IMG]

8. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

no, I was talking about different tvs, the sony is my 20 inch. I was just wondering if it was capable.

the sharp is a 65 inch widescreen hd, that should do prog scan. I hooked it up via component and switched the dvd to prog, but when playinf the lcd light doesn't light up.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

So you are saying the Sony 20" is an LCD RPTV? I wasn't aware that Sony made an LCD RPTV that small. In any case I couldn't find any reference to a 20" Sony XBR of the type you mentioned. I doubt however, that a TV that small is gonna support progressive scan.

10. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

no, back in virginia, in my room, I have a Sony 20 inch Flat Screen Trinitron. Also, in our home theater we have a Sony 70 inch XBR LCD RPTV. Then, at our vacation home we have a 65 inch Sharp HDTV, older crt rptv, but when i use a prog scan on that it doesn;t say its using it on the dvd player.

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The 20 inch trinitron won't display progressive scan, turn it off in the player when using that tv.

The 70 inch lcd will accept a 480p signal but will convert it to it's own native scanrate anyway. Try both progressive and interlaced from the player and use whichever looks best to you.

The Sharp crt set may or may not display 480p natively. Being an older set it probably will and that's the output mode you should set the dvd player to.