What's new

Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

Shahid

Grip
Hi. I currently have a NON-progressive scan DVD player connected to my NEC-lt157 projector using S-Video. Should I expect to see much of a difference by using a Progressive Scan DVD player and using a component video connection?

Thanks,

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, most projectors will only produce progressive images- so they usually have an internal doubler (and in many cases a scaler) to process the video to the signal type it wants.

I have a NEC LT150 projector- which scales incoming interlaced signal to 1024x768- the PJ's native resolution. I think the internal scaler is bordering on unwatchable-- it combs badly and has tons of scaling artifacts. I'm not sure the native panel or the quality of the scaling in a LT157 (actually never heard of the 157)-- but the difference between feeding it ntsc 480i and feeding it 720p from a HTPC was like night and day...

Depending on the quality of the internal processing- the difference between your current situation and a progressive player might not be as earth shattering.

-V

Shahid

Grip
Thank you. I've read on a couple of other threads that NEC does not have the best video processor, so it's probably worth a shot, especially since progressive scan players have become so much more reasonably priced recently.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Today on the Deals Page there is a Samsung DVD-P421 Progressive Scan player which is an excellent little player and a price of $75 with free shipping it is all the more excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks