Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shahid, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Shahid

Shahid Extra

Hi. I currently have a NON-progressive scan DVD player connected to my NEC-lt157 projector using S-Video. Should I expect to see much of a difference by using a Progressive Scan DVD player and using a component video connection?

Thanks,

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, most projectors will only produce progressive images- so they usually have an internal doubler (and in many cases a scaler) to process the video to the signal type it wants.

I have a NEC LT150 projector- which scales incoming interlaced signal to 1024x768- the PJ's native resolution. I think the internal scaler is bordering on unwatchable-- it combs badly and has tons of scaling artifacts. I'm not sure the native panel or the quality of the scaling in a LT157 (actually never heard of the 157)-- but the difference between feeding it ntsc 480i and feeding it 720p from a HTPC was like night and day...

Depending on the quality of the internal processing- the difference between your current situation and a progressive player might not be as earth shattering.

-V

3. Shahid

Shahid Extra

Thank you. I've read on a couple of other threads that NEC does not have the best video processor, so it's probably worth a shot, especially since progressive scan players have become so much more reasonably priced recently.

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Today on the Deals Page there is a Samsung DVD-P421 Progressive Scan player which is an excellent little player and a price of $75 with free shipping it is all the more excellent.