Progressive Scan with S-Video

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sanjivnpatel, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Hi ;

Can anyone tell me if I must have a component video to enjoy progressive scan or I can get the improved results with S-Video out?

I have old DVD player connected to projector through 50ft of S-Video cable. I am planning to upgrade my DVD player to progressive scan DVD player. Can I use the same S-Video cable and get the progressive results or do I have to get 50ft of component cable to get the better results.

Thanks.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

You cannot get a progressive image sent out on the S-Video cable. The image will be interlaced, and your projector will have to do the de-interlacing. I think the amount of improvement in going component with a progressive signal to your projector will depend on your projector. For example, many newer digital projectors have very good de-interlacing. One must also take into account the quality of the S-Video cable you are using. If you are using a single, thin cable, image quality could suffer.

Doug

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

DVD is a component video format,by using S-Video you bound to degrade the picture,even on interlaced players.