Progressive scan with front projection?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick S., Jun 28, 2004.

1. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

Do you all know how difficult it is to find a person who knows what they are talking about when it comes to Home Theater? Obviously so because we are all here. I've been a reader of this forum for some time and I appreciate the opportunity to become more involved. Kudos to you all. I have been a HT hobbyist for many years (pre-prologic era) and I'm now venturing into front projection. This may be a dumb question but here it goes. Do I need a progressive scan DVD if LCD/DLP are inherently progressive scan devices? Can I use my existing player, which is not ps, and save money using the projector as the ps device? Or do I need to invest in a ps dvd player? The "experts" opinions seem to vary on this. Thanks for any help.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"The "experts" opinions seem to vary on this." That's the point, there are variables involved.

How good is your current DVD player ?

How old is your current player

what de-interlacing chip is in the projector that you're looking at ?

More questions that I can't hink of.

Brent

3. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

Brent,

Thanks for the interest. I hope you enjoyed the little "expert" sarcasm. In answer to you questions..

1- Average sony $150
    2- 4 yrs old/ not progressive scan
    3- No idea. I was told that most projectors will have a better de-interlacing chip than your average dvd player. This must not be the case?

4. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

If the projector you are hooking up to has a deinterlacing chip, then you don't need a progressive scan player to get a progressively scanned image. The projector will take an interlaced signal and produce a progressive image. However, a progessive scan player could be a benefit if its deinterlacer is better than the one in the projector. Obviously, the decision about whether or not to make the additional investment is highly subjective.

5. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

Jonathan,

If I go out and buy a $200 ps dvd player, what are the chances of its de-interlacer being better than...say a $2500 projector. Can this question be answered? Thanks for the help.

6. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

I would say that the chances of the deinterlacer of a $200 ps player being noticeably better than that of a $2500 projector are pretty low. Of course, it depends on the specific models you are talking about.

Faroudja DCDi is considered the best technology by many people, so you may want to look for that name in either a player or projector. For example, the new Infocus Screenplay 4805 (a $1500 projector) contains the Faroudja chip.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have a 96" setup and have had the opportunity to test non progressive Toshiba 3108, progressive JVC, as well as a HD upconverting LG @ 480p, 720p and 1080i

I have to look close to see the improvements of progressive on my particular projector, a Sony 11Ht. You notice it on little things like movie subtitles which have wavy moving outlines in interlace mode that clean up 100% in progressive. You notice less moire and jaggies in progressive as well. The difference though is not mind boggling as the projector has pretty good "doubling" hardware of its own.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"I would say that the chances of the deinterlacer of a $200 ps player being noticeably better than that of a $2500 projector are pretty low. "

The Zenith 318 is a good move, although it has a coupla little problems with 4/3 material.

If you can get a Faroujda chip in the projector that's probably the best way to go. It will help out with TV and DVD.

Get the Faroujda in just the dvd player and you are stuck.

I run a Benq pb6100 with a LG7832 Faroujda based dvd player(same as 318 in the U.s.) and DVDs look fantastic...

A non progressive dvd player through my projector don't look so good[​IMG] I used a well rated Toshiba SD2200 and when I moved up to the LG it looked MUCh better.

B

9. Nick S.

Nick S. Auditioning

This sort of feedback was exactly what I needed. I've been looking at the Panasonic PT L500u which received high ratings on projector central and was praised for its de-interlacing ability. It's not Faroujda tech. but seems an excellent choice for the price. I will save the $200 on a new dvd player. In ht that money can always be used somewhere. Thanks for all the help.

10. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I'm also interested in the Panny LT-500U, which also seems to go by model number LT-AE500. However, living in Canada, means that dealers here are screwing canadian home theater enthusiasts like there's no tomorrow.

A local b&m retailer in vancouver is asking $4299can for this projector that is $2499US msrp. He said he had some room to move on the price.

I'm thinking of online shopping for this item. It would be my first time if I do so. Any heads up would be appreciated. I'm not crazy about shopping online for an expensive piece, but I can't stand this type of price gouging.

After doing some research, it appears that it's Panasonic screwing over Canadian customers. Their Canadian MSRP's on their projectors is whack.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

My X1 is Faroudja equipped. I compared s-video and progressive from both my CP72 and my new Zenith 318. Preferred the progressive, myself, quite a bit.

IMO, worth the extra $$ for a good Faroudja progressive player. But if you are tight on cash, you can wait, and will have a fine picture. But you should do it eventually.

12. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I have the NEC HT1000 DLP Front Projector and a Pioneer progressive scan DVD player. I have switched back and forth many times between the progressive signal from the DVD player and the Farouja de-interlacer on my NEC. THe bottom line is that I can't tell the difference!
    The deinterlacer on the NEC comes with manual adjustments known as "Sweetvision" so if a person is a tweeker, they might well prefer to adjust the deinterlaced signal to their own desire.
    I just want to watch dvds and enjoy the picture. I'm progressively scanning for 2004 and I'll be deinterlacing for 2005!