progressive scan - what am i not seeing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, May 1, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i just bought a JVC XVSA75GD to run to my 38" rca.... i have watched scenes from about 20 dvd's in the last 24 hours, switching back and forth between progressive and interlaced.
    I see some drop in jaggies and some VERY minor color variations, subtle enough to where i wasn't sure if it was mental or not. But the difference doesn't seem that big. I don't think it's the TV because i watched some HD that looked fantastic...i know progrssive scan isn't HD, but i didn't expect the interlaced to look 95% as good as the progressive signal.
    Should i get another dvd player, or settle down and wait for the progressive benefits to soak in? it was only $160 brand new on sale at best buy, so am i just getting what i paid for? judging from reviews it seems like a solid performer. mayeb i need glasses [​IMG]

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

One thing I've noticed with the newer progressive scan players is that their interlaced output is very, very good. Also, some never TVs have very, very good line doubling and 3:2 pulldown.

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Sean,

Depending on the TV and the player, the differences can be subtle (fewer jaggies and better color). One question though, are you sure that you have the JVC setup to output a progressive signal? some progressive players come set as interlaced by default.

Hope this helps.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

As long as Sean is using component, he can toggle back and forth between the two modes with the remote...it's that easy. I think the diffences with some player/set combinations are very subtle indeed, especially with direct view. I have the 70BK and have set it up with different sets and set types and find the benefits are more easily appreciated on a decent RPTV. Also remember according to 'Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity', " that the interlaced output is derived from the progressive output, and is thus affected by the progressive deinterlacing mode."

I have not found it to be a problem, however.

5. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

Does your 38" RCA do any sort of upconversion on the incoming signal? If so, you're not really comparing a progressive vs. interlaced signal, but the image processing (line doubler, etc.) on your set vs. the one on the DVD player.

6. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

The color should not change when switching from interlaced to progressive, though it unfortunately does on many players because of small voltage differences between the two different output stages. If you use Avia and the color filters that come with it to calibrate the color and hue controls for each input, they will look the same.
    You might want to read the section titled "Why are progressive players better?" in this article:
    Progressive-scan article
    The short answer is that as several people pointed out, you're really comparing the deinterlacing in the player to the deinterlacing in the TV. With some material, the differences may be incredibly subtle. If you read the whole article, you'll have a better idea of what material will trip up each player.
    Also, that JVC has a quirk where the interlaced output is derived from the progressive output, so when using the interlaced output, the deinterlacing mode should be set to "Film." If it's set to video, then both the interlaced and progressive will look equally crappy. There's more about that in the article and the shootout reports that are linked to it.
    Don

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Sean, if you got toy story look a this thread
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62737
    I give a simple example of what to look for. The trick is to learn what to look for, after that you should be able to watch interlaced video and notice problems. Your display may do a great job with interlaced video, but if not the example may help.

8. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

thanks guys - after MANY more a/b tests, i have definitely noticed the colors being much more accurate and a lot of jaggies and stairstepping going away in progressive mode. But, the line doubling by the TV in interlaced mode must be pretty good, because the differences aren't that big. But DEFINITELY noticeable once I knew what to look for.

Also, I was amazed to find some non-anamorphic dvd's that look ALMOST as good as 16:9 discs at times (The Game, Abyss, etc) with the dvd player's scaling.

I've only come across a couple of problemed discs...Silence of the Lambs Criterion doesn't want to be scaled and stays windowboxed. Same with the Kubrick 1.66:1 titles....with the Kubrick titles i use the zoom function on the dvd player and it looks surprisingly good, BUT i can't get the "zoom" icon to go away!

But so far i'm loving the dvd player.

9. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Sean, don't you hit display or something in zoom to get the navigator to go away? It is in the documentation (I believe).

10. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I found the difference in interlaced DVD to be night and day when compared to my HTPC. The colors were more saturated, and the HTPC looked more film like.