Progressive scan upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jonath-k-wilson, Dec 23, 2002.

1. jonath-k-wilson

I have a 46" Wide screen (Mitsubishi 46805 RP HDTV) I have a 3 year old RCA DVD player with only "S" video out NO Component out) I am watching "The Dance" (Fleetwood Mac) right now and I am wondering if upgrading to a Toshiba 4800 with progressive scan,3-2 pulldown and Component video would be worth it? I mean the picture is GREAT! the sound is awsome!I can NOT imagine it getting any better!
    I have a Yamaha Rec with Klipsch SF-1, KMC and two 10" subs and optimus rear surrounds
    What do you people think? Go for the upgrade?

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

For any HD capible rear projection TV I wopuld say yes, go for the progressive scan. If you are using a front projector with the majority of video processors then the answer is no. Except for a very few (and pretty expensive) scalers none can take a progressive input.

3. jonath-k-wilson

Hello...... is there anybody out there?
    Just nod if you can hear me... [​IMG]
    Anybody else?

4. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

GO PROGRESSIVE!!! I got my first progressive scan player about a month and a half ago. WOW, what a difference I noticed. Jaggies b gone! The picture looks awesome. Like Ron's review said, both Episode II and FOTR look almost HD. I compared my old player to the new one and foudn a big difference i nthe smoothness of the picture. Really worth the upgrade. If you do, get a Panny RP82. Only reason i didnt is because I had to buy my player at CC=/. But ive seen the RP82 in action and looks slighlty smoother than my JVC(forgets model). Hope you decide to get one. O yea, get a good pair of component cables, they make a world of difference.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

If your TV does accept 480p progressive scan component video input, definitely get the good progressive scan player! [​IMG]
    One model I do recommend is the Sony DVP-NS715P--it has excellent picture quality and the controls on the remote for disc navigation are much better than that on the Panasonic models. If you want to be able to play Super Audio CD's, you can pay a little more and get the Sony DVP-NS755V. [​IMG]

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

8. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i have an rca f38310 (38" 16:9)...when i first got it, i bought a jvc progressive scan..then replaced it with another JVC (due to subtitle issues)...anyway, with the JVC's i didn't see a HUGE jump in quality in progressive mode...I mainly saw improvements with dvd's that have a lot of motion, like Moulin Rouge.

when i came to the realization that i couldn't zoom misflagged discs on the JVC, i got a panasonic rp91. What a world of difference it made...now when i switch back and forth between interlaced and progressive the progressive is AMAZINGLY better with contrast, color, motion, etc. From what i've heard, the Rp82 is even better!

go for it!

9. Hisham_k

Hisham_k Auditioning

Does anyone of you guys know if the sony tv's equipped with DRC 1250 ( i.e in Europe ) accept a 480p signal thru its component inputs from a progressive scan player ?

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... Those are interesting observations about sticking w/ "old reliable" even if it's not progressive scan.

I just read from a CES-related link that the Philips 963 is indeed being introduced at CES, and I think I'm pretty much set on waiting for that player now.

For me, my new Panny 53" seems to do a pretty good job at 3:2 pulldown from my old Toshiba player. So far, I haven't noticed any combing for film-sourced content, except one moment in Little Mermaid. But combing is fairly apparent and frequent w/ video-sourced content when I finally watched some tonight w/ Star Trek TNG. Since the TV is probably using cadence-detection, and (can)not rely on any DVD flags, it might actually be better at deinterlacing film-sourced content than many progressive scan players that do not use a Faroudja chip. I'd assume it's using a very simple form of cadence-detection. Of course, it would be better to deinterlace in the player to avoid the extra A->D->A conversion, but it seems quite serviceable, and maybe some others feel the same. I guess if I own more video-sourced content, then a new player would probably be a must for them.

OTOH, I do own a lot of non-16x9 movies, and those could definitely use scaling/aspect ratio control from a new player. With a 480i image, the scan lines are just too nasty when using the TV's zoom mode, and using 4x3 mode just won't do--unsatisfyingly small, window-boxed image PLUS greater risk of burn in. I actually just bumped up from a 32" NTSC TV, so the 4x3 mode on the 53" is actually a fair bit bigger than the old 32", but once you've seen some of your 16x9 DVDs using the full width, there's just no going back. Of course, subtitles on foreign films can be an issue also when using the TV's zoom mode.

And then of course, if one is interested in foreign films (or must collect the "best" edition of a movie possible), a player that does region-free, PAL->NTSC playback can be important. Before I bought the new TV, I was reasonably satisfied w/ the mediocre, non-16x9 DVDs of various Hong Kong films. Now, at least one of them is totally unwatchable, forcing me to finally get the best versions of these movies from the UK. It doesn't help one bit that most of the US releases are either of poor quality or badly butchered while the region-free HK releases I own are mediocre at best.

So yeah, seems to me that the need for a new player can easily depend on the types of movies one owns/wants as much as anything. Some people simply choose to own/watch domestic 16x9 DVDs only, so no upgrade might be fine or an RP82 could be perfect. But if you choose to spread yourself out beyond such DVDs, you'll find more and more reason to upgrade AND to get something other than an RP82.

As usual, the final answer can only come from yourself...

_Man_